PDA

View Full Version : Small blind with AKs vs LAG. preflop and river help needed

Kevin
07-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Villian sees 31% vpip, 14% pf raise. He is an autoraise on the button to open of if he senses weakness preflop.

Questions:
1.) Auto 3-bet preflop? (I think I made a mistake here) I gave the bb a call when he could have flopped the best hand.
2.) cr on flop to isolate and get ep out of the hand. after he called, I was pretty sure that I was ahead.
3.) The river gives some coordination to the board (he had been raising hands such as K8o, so I could not define his hand - although it seemed like ace big). Do I bet the river to get him to fold, do I check to induce a bluff and then call, Do I bet the river for value?

Thanks,
Kevin

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (8 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10 BB, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (10 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kd Ad (high card, ace).
Button shows Ac Qd (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 10 BB. </font>

Mike Gallo
07-17-2004, 10:04 PM
1.) Auto 3-bet preflop? (I think I made a mistake here) I gave the bb a call when he could have flopped the best hand.

Preflop I would have reraised.

2.) cr on flop to isolate and get ep out of the hand. after he called, I was pretty sure that I was ahead

Why check raise the flop when you have showed no strength preflop? What hand did you want to represent there ? I prefer leading on the flop. For some reason that seems more natural.

3.) The river gives some coordination to the board (he had been raising hands such as K8o, so I could not define his hand - although it seemed like ace big). Do I bet the river to get him to fold, do I check to induce a bluff and then call, Do I bet the river for value?

Excellent question. Read the chapter Heads up on the end in Theory of Poker.

Except for preflop you played the hand fine. I do not play well enough to simply call with AK suited from the sb. I even have started to like the flop check raise.

Kevin
07-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the feedback.

[ QUOTE ]
Why check raise the flop when you have showed no strength preflop? What hand did you want to represent there ? I prefer leading on the flop. For some reason that seems more natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I coldcalled preflop out of the small blind, (in my mind) the definition of my hand opens way up. If I bet it out with such a rag board, I would anticipate the action to be call out of the big blind (no idea what that would mean - as he could have anything from a pair to overcards), utg would call, and button, in true form, would raise. Unless I wanted to make it 3 bets - which (I think) would have been reckless, bb and ep would have called, and I would have to catch cards to win the hand. So, the preflop overcall was made with the hopes of isolating the button on the flop with or without hitting the flop.

Of everything that I did in the hand, the flop cr was the one thing that I felt the best about. I was surprised that your feedback was to the contrary. I guess that proves the value of this forum and how I can continue to learn.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Kevin

Mike Gallo
07-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Of everything that I did in the hand, the flop cr was the one thing that I felt the best about. I was surprised that your feedback was to the contrary. I guess that proves the value of this forum and how I can continue to learn.

The more I thought it over the more I liked it. I just know if it makes sense against the opponent you described.