PDA

View Full Version : Gutshots, Overcards, and Turn/River play

TRWIII
07-17-2004, 08:59 PM
These hands came consecutively on my first orbit at the table.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>,

Flop: (9 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero ???.

3-bet here or call it?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks,

Flop: (3.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero ???.

Same question, and here I think the capped turn makes it a more interesting situation.

As always, critiques on all streets appreciated. Results to come after a few replies hopefully.

Thanks in advance,
TRWIII

TRWIII
07-18-2004, 02:24 AM
Eh, I'll bump this once to see if I can get someone to give me an opinion as to the best way to play the rivers on these hands.

TRWIII

JDErickson
07-18-2004, 02:44 AM
Hand 1 I think I 3 bet the river and call a cap.

Hand 2 I call. FH possibility there.

TRWIII
07-18-2004, 02:54 AM
Hand #1: Hero called (I'm thinking raising wouldve been better). Villain showed 88 (I sure didnt expect that...) and MHIG.

Hand #2: Hero called. Villain showed J9o (??? that turn cap was kinda LAGGY with 3rd pair and a straight draw) and MHIG.

Anyone have any other comments on my play on any street?

TRWIII

nepenthe
07-18-2004, 03:29 AM
Hi TRWIII,

Hand 1, I most definitely do not 3-bet. CO came to life and bet out on a 2-flush turn which, although a stupid move on his part, suggests he could've been on a flush draw. Now he raises the river when the flush gets there despite the fact that you suddenly came to life and bet out.

Let me give you a suggestion from personal experience: on Party 2/4, you should be almost as cautious of a runner-runner flush as you are of a normal flush draw. You can rest ASSURED that every Party fish will stay in for gutshots, double gutshots, and rr flush draws regardless of the size of the pot. Call his raise here and be happy if you won.

Hand 2: This situation is a bit closer in my opinion, because his turn cap suggests a made hand as opposed to a draw. My guess would be a set, two pair, or 8J. Personally, I would have check-raised the river and called a 3-bet. Having played it as you did, I will call down the river raise without a read.

JDErickson
07-18-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me give you a suggestion from personal experience: on Party 2/4, you should be almost as cautious of a runner-runner flush as you are of a normal flush draw. You can rest ASSURED that every Party fish will stay in for gutshots, double gutshots, and rr flush draws regardless of the size of the pot. Call his raise here and be happy if you won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't agree with this at all. If you are going to be afraid of any possible long shot on the river you are missing lots of chances to make extra money. The odds of him hitting the RR flush are so high that this bet on river will be good much more than bad. If he has the flush.... so be it, next hand. You will be good more often than not.