PDA

View Full Version : Volts Light On In Car?

RED_RAIN
07-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Looking for a car or mechanic.

What does it mean if this light comes on?

It doesn't turn off if I turn off then back on the car like sometimes these lights just come on I've noticed.

The manual says if might have a problem with the charging system, loose drive belt, or another electrical problem.

Says if I keep driving could drain battery.

Any hints? Should I just put it in to a mechanic?

Phat Mack
07-17-2004, 06:24 PM
The manual is correct. You have a problem with your charging system: Loose or missing belt, bad alternator or bad black box/voltage regulator. You're running off your battery, which will go dead because it is not being recharged. Pop the hood, check the belt(s) and check for loose connections, especially around the battery terminals. If you don't see something obvious, take it to your mechanic.

RED_RAIN
07-17-2004, 06:32 PM
I am very car stupid, as in, I know how to drive, nothing else.

So it could be as simple as a missing or loose belt (how do you tell if it's loose), and/or loose connector that needs to be pushed back on?

MMMMMM
07-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Yes it could be that simple.

Here's a suggestion: if you haven't had your oil changed very recently, take it to a jiffy lube or whatever and get it done. Tell them the problem and there is a very good chance they can find out the cause if it is simple. The chain-type quick lube stores are set up to do a lot of little repairs so there is a good chance they can both diagnose and remedy the problem. Saves you time over leaving it at a car shop for a half-a-day or more, and if you could use an oil change anytime soon you might just kill two birds with one stone.

Ray Zee
07-17-2004, 11:53 PM
it might mean nothing. learn to use a voltmeter or find someone that does. its easy. then find where you arent getting the output and you found the problem.
or just get a new battery if its 4 or more years old as thats the most often cause. or clean the terminals. then loose belt check. then regulator. then alternator.

adios
07-18-2004, 12:33 AM
By all means inspect the belts and stuff. Have your battery checked. Start with the cheapest items first.

Zeno
07-18-2004, 12:43 AM
You received some good advice. Learn about your vehicle and how it funtions. Some simple and common sense knowledge can save you a lot of money.

If you have a lose belt you sometimes hear a screeching sound as the belt slips but this is not always so. Most belts should have about 1/2 inch of play in them. Many problems are not that complicated, you may simply may have a worn-out battery, or one with a bad cell. You should be able to replace it yourself and even get money back on the core charge for the old one. You only need a few simple tools to do so.

-Zeno

RED_RAIN
07-18-2004, 01:30 AM
I'm giving it to our family mechanic tomorrow. He says 9 times out of 10 it's the alternator. $80-$150 for a remanfactured one and like $35 for labor I believe. He is going to look at it today (Sunday) then get parts and do it Monday.