PDA

View Full Version : 10/20: Check-raised by BB

03-11-2002, 05:12 PM
I'm on the button with AcJc. Two to my right is a passive novice player(NP). BB is aggressive but would show down losers/busted draws about 40% of the time with his raises or check-raises.

NP calls and I raise. SB folds BB calls and NP calls.

**FLOP**: [9d 2d 9s]

I lead bet, BB check-raises NP folds. I call.

**TURN**: [Qh] [9d 2d 9s]

BB bets, I call.

**RIVER**: [Qc] [Qh 9d 2d 9s]

BB bets, I call.

Comments on all rounds appreciated.

Jamie

03-11-2002, 05:17 PM
BB turns over 3c4c and offers a few disparaging remarks about my call.

Just seemed to me like one of those spots where I had to defend my pre-flop raise so people would be less likely to make moves on me.

But I'm open to critique.

Thanks

Jamie

03-12-2002, 12:20 AM
I haven't read the results, but I would have folded to the flop check raise. You've got nothing -- any pair beats you at this point.

On the turn you have one overcard. I don't understand this call at all. FOLD.

On the river you might have finally caught up. Given that you are still in the hand, the call on the end is correct. But you should have folded long before the river.

03-12-2002, 12:22 AM
There's no need to defend your legitimate preflop raise when the flop totally misses you. BB is clearly a fool, but this was not a good time to try to catch a bluff.

03-12-2002, 02:10 AM
I see now reason to believe why this flop would have hit the big blind unless he flopped a flush draw. If he's actually got a 9, then that's the way it goes. Routinely fold on a 929 flop in a heads-up pot just because you got checkraised is playing too tight.

However, you should make a move at the pot on the turn by raising his bet and then check behind on the river. Give yourself the chance to win on the turn. It would have been rather annoying if he spiked a 4 or 3 on the river.