PDA

View Full Version : Low level SnG resources courtesy of AleoMagus

NegativeEV
07-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I sent a PM to AleoMagus asking him to send me his guide to low level SnG play and he was gracious enough to send me a response with links to the guide and other SnG resources. I'm including his email below as I'm seen many posts looking for these materials. I've also included a link to a spreadsheet that AleoMagus created for tracking SnG results, so this is a bit of a "one stop shopping" for SnG resources. I have played SnGs for several months with a positive ROI, but reviewing these materials has helped me to refocus and has lead to increases in my ROI and ITM%. As Aleo mentions in his mail, these guides are not perfect and should be used in conjunction with other resources and experience, but they are a great start and are great reminders for experienced players.

AleoMagus's email:
The 'How to beat the party 10+1' guide is nothing more than a post I made a while back. It has since spawned a huge following and has generated lots of discussion probably more valuable than the post itself

Here is the original post

How to beat the Party 10+1 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=591 779&Forum=,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,&Words=&Searchpage=5&Limit=25&Main=591779&Search =true&where=&Name=5278&daterange=&newerval=&newert ype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post591779)

and here is another good link and a really good thread

Beating the Party 10+1 Part 2 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=602767&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

Since first written, many have claimed good results, or at least a good ground for learning using this strategy. I have learned to hate these posts as I realize more and more all the time just how flawed they are. Still, they probably are a good start

I'd also recommend looking at this site:

Party Strategy site & Replayer (http://teamfu.freeshell.org/visitor_histories.html)

Again, keep in mind that the surrounding discussion in those threads is very valuable and be sure to check out the tourney guide on that site.

Hope this helps. If for some reason the links do not work, click on my name and view all my posts. There aren't that many and you should be able to find these threads pretty easily

Regards
Brad S

NegativeEV Addiition: AleoMagus also created a spreadsheet that is useful in tracking results from SnG's such that cumulative results are easy to review. The spreadsheet can be found at the following link:

Universal SNG Spreadsheet (http://www.aleomagus.freeservers.com/Spreadsheet)

Again, these materials are a good start and should be used in connection with other strings on this site as well as other resources. In particular, I'm not sure that the resources above articulate the need for aggression on the bubble that other posts in this forum express (proper bubble aggression and blind stealing is essential for success in SnG play). THANK YOU AleoMagus for providing these resources as they have greatly helped me to improve my game in the 10+1 and 20+1 SnGs.

NegativeEV
07-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks again Aleo for the links & resources above. Just a couple of very brief comments on a couple of areas that I think could be enhanced/altered in the materials in the post above:

1.) Bubble play. The original 10+1 guide that Aleo drafted may not emphasize that aggressive play on the bubble is necessary for long term SnG success. Picking up blinds and being the aggressor in the late stages of a SnG is a fundamental that is discussed frequently on this forum and I'd point to other posts (particularly those of Jason Strasser) on this topic.

2.) I think there is room for playing mid suited connectors in the early rounds of SnG's if you are able to limp in from mid/late position. These hands can generate large returns when the flop hits, and I think they CAN be valuable to build a chip stack early. However, it takes discipline to lay these down when the flop hits softly, so I only recommend playing these if you are prepared to lay down post flop AND you have a decent amount of experience in SnG play.

Anyhow, just a couple of add-ons to the guides from my experience. In general, the guides are a great resource for new players or for players who need a gentle reminder of how to beat the lower SnGs

Cosimo
07-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Do you have any suggestion for modifying the guide for play at UB? Even at the $5 level, there's often 7 or more people left when the blinds get to 50-100.

Benholio
07-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Basing your play roughly off of that guide should still serve well for the low buy-in SnG's at UB. My play is very similar to what Aleo's suggests, and while I haven't necessarily demolished the UB $10+1's, I am staying in the 36% ROI range after ~110 or so SnG's so far this month.