PDA

View Full Version : My biggest leak is...

B Dids
07-17-2004, 12:26 PM
I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

My biggest leak is betting at pots that I don't have a piece of, thinking I can push LL calling stations out of the pot.

SomethingClever
07-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Mine's getting freaked out when I have a slow streak and trying to win pots I shouldn't. Getting better about it, though.

cartoonsoldier
07-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Staying in on draws at the wrong times and calling the river even though I know someone hit their Ace.

TrailofTears
07-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Keeping my ego in check. I refuse to get pushed around, especially when I know I am a better player than the person doing the pushing. I am getting better at picking my spots.

Brain
07-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Ditto. Overcards that don't hit make me bleed chips all over the table. I'll add calling the river when I think I'm beat. This not-folding-for-one-more-bet has got me messed up. I need to go find NPAEM's post on that and re-read it; I must be using it wrong.

Sent
07-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Raising the flop when I should'nt. and not raising it when I should /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

-Sent

Brain
07-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Ooh, that's a good one. I hadn't thought of that. I don't play goot. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

huxbux
07-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Not folding when I know I'm beat because a LAP suddenly wakes up and goes nuts.

kenewbie
07-17-2004, 01:33 PM
My biggest leak is thinking I got a shot at winning huge tournaments /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But hey, sooner or later I have to score right /images/graemlins/smile.gif

When it comes to ring games my biggest leak is paying people off on the river when they spiked the winner. I'm getting better at laying down but the river-reraise bluff is almost non existant and I still spend too much keeping people honest.

k

Matty
07-17-2004, 01:39 PM
My biggest leak is not paying attention to tables. I watch too much T.V. and browse the internet way too much while playing.

I also tend to overplay suited hands.

tech
07-17-2004, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This not-folding-for-one-more-bet has got me messed up. I need to go find NPAEM's post on that and re-read it; I must be using it wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=462860&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc=1).

bisonbison
07-17-2004, 02:07 PM
My biggest leak is... tilt.

Brain
07-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the link. I think I'm ignoring the fact that the action has told me that I'm beat and I'm still doing it "just because." I'll work on that during tomorrow's session. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jacki
07-17-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest leak is not paying attention to tables. I watch too much T.V. and browse the internet way too much while playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. It's amazing that 4 tables still isn't enough to command my full attention.

detruncate
07-17-2004, 02:43 PM
My biggest leak is not paying attention to context.

The result is that I get to regularly enjoy all the leaks the rest of you cats describe; overplaying and underplaying in particular. Three cheers for mechanical play!

Entity
07-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Not understanding the mind of drawing players. I'm down 25BB today to hands that just confused the hell out of me, and then beat me on the river.

Hole #2: getting annoyed by the 20-30BB downswings against crappy players.

Rob

JerseyTom
07-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Semi-bluffing with or aggressively betting overcards against calling station types; I have to remember that not even a shotgun will move some of these people off their J4s that flopped bottom pair...

LeftBack
07-17-2004, 02:58 PM
"Context" hits home for me.

I'm too busy playing my cards, and not reacting to play. I get suckered on way too many check-raises, and I tend to play late / weak caliber hands too often in the face of pre-flop pressure.

Party still drives me nuts. Maybe I play looser / more aggressive at Party??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

LeftBack
07-17-2004, 03:08 PM
I don't recognize when I'm beat. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rudbaeck
07-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Not letting go of KK or QQ against the LL players who obviously cold called 3 bets with A2o and are overjoyed on the flop of A-rag-rag rainbow. Or thinking that with a capped PF betting no one will have 74 on a 356 rainbow flop. (Ok, so only the first is a real leak, the second just feels like a leak, but according to PT I've actually only lost two pocket rockets to a flopped baby straight.)

Jaran
07-17-2004, 03:49 PM
My biggest leak (besides the whole sucking at poker thing) is knowing I'm beat, reading exactly the hand that beats me, and still calling down on the off chance that I am wrong. I hate when I do that.

-Jaran

dfscott
07-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Playing NL SnGs -- I love 'em to death but just flat out suck at 'em.

Other than that, it's not releasing big pocket pairs in the face of agression.

HajiShirazu
07-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Not taking the free card when I should.

TrailofTears
07-21-2004, 02:42 AM
Found a couple more this weekend. Playing too loose after getting beaten by monkeys choosing two cards at random. Oh yeah, and tilting. Basically, I leak like Elmer Fudd after sticking his gun into Bugs Bunny's rabbit hole and firing a few rounds off, only to follow that with a nice drink of water that proceed to flow nicely from the bullet holes. And I don't know if being a dork is a leak in poker, but it sure is in life. Oh well.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-21-2004, 04:54 AM
My biggest leak is...

being a LAG. (and then wondering why I have so much damn variance)

value betting bottom pair against calling stations

trying to push calling stations off of a pot

obsessive/abusive use of capping for a free card

trying to blind steal as much as possible

openraising with suspect hands in MP

3-betting with medium pocket pairs

capping with TT and 99 preflop heads up

overplaying overcards against calling stations

checkraising with middle pair

3-betting with middle pair

obsessive adherence to the raise or fold philosphy

wait...
don't all these things have to do with being LAG?

sfer
07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Hyper-aggressive, totally beserk, retarded machismo blind steals/re-steals.

flair1239
07-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Being to aggressive on hands that I raise and feeling obligated to continue leading out on the betting on all streets even though it is obvious the flop missed me and helped my opponents. The bad thing is this works a good portion of the time but not enough to be profitable, but enough where it encourages my bad tendencies.

2. Not betting my (nut)draws often enough.

3. Trying to force top pair weak kicker especially out of the blinds. Along these same lines when I play a hand like 76s from late position, overplaying when I have a pair of sevens, and then refusing to fold when an overcard hits.

kgrad5
07-21-2004, 10:28 AM
calling down too much and playing certain hands out of position

prayformojo
07-21-2004, 10:34 AM
The turn, plain and simple. I have come to the grudging conclusion that I just suck at playing the turn when I don't have best hand, especially out of position. I'm going to write PP and ask them to limit hold'em to four community cards, the flop and the river, to eliminate this nuisance.

Lumpy
07-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Playing too many marginal hands.... I know it was 2-7, but it was suited. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BellyBuster7
07-21-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wait...
don't all these things have to do with being LAG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a couple too many of the things on your list hit home. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

smartalecc5
07-21-2004, 04:30 PM
first of all, lemme tell you i cant do pot odds and figure out 3:1 or 6:1 ratio on calling the bet wen i am on a straight or flush draw. So basically- I look at how big the bet is, how many outs I have, how much money I have, and how lucky I am feeling.

I hate not calling and then getting the card, and then next time calling and not getting the card!

smartalecc5
07-21-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing too many marginal hands.... I know it was 2-7, but it was suited. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

that is extremely funny - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

styleish
07-21-2004, 04:34 PM
I think my biggest leak is feeling I have to bet the flop whenever I showed strength preflop. I'm sure there are situations to bet the flop regardless of whether or not you hit a piece of it, but I think my problem is identifying those situations.

DMBFan23
07-21-2004, 04:42 PM
My two are not letting go of hands like JJ/TT/99 when I should, and missing bets on the river.

scotnt73
07-21-2004, 04:49 PM
getting way up early in the session and loosening up until i end the session with a small win. i hate that. i dont do it near as often as i used to. of course thats because when i get way up early now i quit and go watch tv! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TrailofTears
07-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Still so much for me to learn.... And even the stuff I have learned needs to become instinct instead of hindsight realization that I misplayed. I have realized this forum provides me with two very different types of encouragement.

1) That I am learning a ton and am better than a vast majority of my competition.

2) That I still have a ton to learn and am worse than a vast majority of the posters on this site.

Ahhhh, acceptance feels good.

CardCuda
07-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Going to break that habit someday. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

solring
07-21-2004, 10:28 PM
forgetting that "it's all one session" and forcing myself to keep playing when I'm down at the table, despite other conditions - such as being tired, not in the right frame of mind (tilt), etc.

Mayhap
07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for asking a good question.

My biggest leak is allowing feelings of anxiety about results to last more than a few seconds. When I'm anxious about results for more than just a moment, a window opens in which I can make a bad decision or one of those bad decisions that gives birth to other bad decisions.

/M

RustedCorpse
07-22-2004, 01:25 AM
Capping with Jacks preflop, figuring I got to hit my set to win anyway.

Cold Calling with KJs, (I'm getting better)

Three Betting Top pair top kicker flop and not knowing what to do when bet into on the turn.

When to value bet the river.

Counting Multiple outs, i.e. I have both a gutshot and back door striaght.

Thinking I can put a calling station off a hand.

Making comments like "I limped preflop and I three bet the turn, How did you NOT put me on a set?"

sfer
07-22-2004, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Capping with Jacks preflop, figuring I got to hit my set to win anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is generally very bad unless against a maniac or when stealing/re-stealing blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
Cold Calling with KJs, (I'm getting better)

[/ QUOTE ]

KJs isn't the problem. It's finding the right situations to coldcall--i.e. who raised and from where, how many coldcallers before you, looking left and seeing if others are coming along--and not overplaying TP postflop.

bdk3clash
07-22-2004, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest leak (besides the whole sucking at poker thing) is knowing I'm beat, reading exactly the hand that beats me, and still calling down on the off chance that I am wrong. I hate when I do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too, and I hate it too.

bdk3clash
07-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Feeling obligated to continue aggression with overcards that didn't come within spitting distance of the flop. Because then, you've got to bet the turn...and then, the river...

RustedCorpse
07-23-2004, 12:44 AM
I thought of another,

Pocket pairs when the flop comes with only one overcard making my pair second on the board. I tend to think to myself "It's only one card, how likely is it that one of these nine preflop callers really has a king."

Needless to say I'm trying to kick that one.

MrG
07-23-2004, 08:30 AM
My biggest leak is ...apparently I am not Ed Miller.

Honestly, I have a ton of leaks but one that I could fix easily is table selection. I rarely scout a table before sitting and seem too stubborn to move off a table when I know it isn't playing well.

btspider
07-23-2004, 11:15 AM
BB play at the 2+2 table

playerfl
07-23-2004, 11:37 AM
I have the same problem.

josh1122
07-23-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too, and I hate it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too and I also hate it.
Ex. I have top two pair with one or two callers all the way down and the river card looks like it helped someone(i.e. straight card or flush card) and sometimes I even say to myself "I know you made made your hand with your XY." But I call anyway and they turn over, what do you know, the XY hand I just put them on.

SofaCoach
07-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Not raising enough. Especially PF with drawing hands after many limpers.