PDA

View Full Version : Lost Question

sirtemple
07-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Afew weeks ago I saw a post asking the following question:

If you could pick your hand, your opponent's hand, the flop and the turn, what combination of cards would give you the best EV, given that your opponent has to be winning before the river?

That was the idea of it anyway. The answer given was something like: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, your opponent has 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, and the board is Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Giving you 9 Flush outs, 6 Straight outs, and 12 2-Pair outs 27 wins out of 44 cards.

That's what I remember, but I can not find this post anymore.

Thinking about it for a while I cannot get more outs to win than the original poster, but I think I can get a better EV.

With a board of 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and a hand of 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, you would be losing to an opponent with 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. But there is no card that can come on the river to beat you. 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif's make the flush, 4 cards make a straight, 6 cards make you a higher 2-pair. You will win 19 times. Any other card that falls will split the pot. A non- /images/graemlins/spade.gif A-8 makes a higher kicker(21 cards) and a 3 or 4 makes a boat(4 Cards).

It looks to me that you will win less, but you can never lose.

If I made a mistake, let me know. Or if you can find the original post, please send it my way.

Jason