PDA

View Full Version : Call here?

DoctorDrew
07-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG just knocked out a medium stack with a miracle on the river. He's mildly loose, usually passive.

saw flop|

Button (t1360)
Hero (t2120)
BB (t965)
UTG (t2525)
MP (t330)
CO (t700)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of t200.
BB folds, UTG calls t200, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: (t400) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, UTG calls t200.

Turn: (t800) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, UTG calls t200.

River: (t1200) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, (I wanted to see how much he would push--?bet out here) <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t1925 (All-In)</font>, Hero ????? (Would put me All-In).

BrettK
07-17-2004, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of t200.
BB folds, UTG calls t200, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero (poster) checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to edit this. It looks rather confusing.

Brett

DoctorDrew
07-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Sorry it looks confusing. I'll try to edit it. BB busted out, so there was no SB for this hand.

BrettK
07-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Okay. It must be the converter, which makes sense, so in this hand Hero is BB?

My advice is generally worth about as much as the few seconds it takes me to type it, so take it at your own risk. I'd make a pot bet on the flop, since you were going to make another 200 chip bet on the turn anyway. If he raises, fold. If he calls, check to him on the turn. You mentioned that he's passive, so if you check to him on the flop, he won't try to steal the pot very often, which means he's getting a free card. If, on the other hand, you were fairly certain he'd bet a small amount if checked to, you might try to check-raise the amount of the pot. (Again, if he calls, check on the turn, and if he raises, fold.) That's my two hundredths of a cent.

Brett

Martin Aigner
07-17-2004, 04:45 PM
DoctorDrew,

I like the flop bet, although itīs only half the potsize. It usually will win you the pot against hands like overcards or smaller pairs. If you are up against a monster (e.g. slow played AA or something like that) it will save you 2nd chip position. You bet out to pick up the pot but canīt stand a raise.

Turn: Ugly card, since there was a flush draw on the board. so a hand like K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif would have hit. I think check fold looks like a weak play but is correct here. You bet the flop and got called from UTG. Give up the pot and save your chips.

On the river you might consider betting out 200. He probably wonīt raise you without a very strong hand since he has to fear that you have a 6 in your hand. This way you see a showdown with a hand wich can win or chop the pot.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

NegativeEV
07-17-2004, 05:53 PM
No, don't call here. I take one stab at this pot on the flop and then shut it down once the K hits on the turn. I bet pot on the flop (pot size bet is more standard than 1/2 pot for me though) and check fold the turn if he's sticking with me. If he called T400 with a T400 pot on the flop with a flush draw, then good for him. I'm not going to keep pushing when the flush misses but the K shows up. There are too many hands that he could be on that have me beat, and if he doesn't have me beat yet and misses to the river, he'll likely check through (since he called rather than reraised the flop bet).

patrick dicaprio
07-17-2004, 06:06 PM
most likely hands are probably a 6 or a missed draw.i would say a 6 is more likely. it is also a possibility that he has a K high diamond draw or maybe even a worse hand such as K9 or something. but aside from a missed draw every hand that is likely for him to hold beats you, and since you have pegged him as a passive player a missed draw is the least likely hand.

Pat

DoctorDrew
07-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the advice. I probably should have bet more on the flop as a stab. But, he didn't raise so I put him on a draw, or a smallish pocket pair.

The turn was probably a mistake, but I felt I was ahead. Again, probably should have made a bigger bet here if I am going to make one.

I thought check/fold on the river, but his bet seemed to scream out "Do not call my bet." If he had made a reasonable bet, I probably would have folded, after 2 stabs at the pot.

So, after taking all my allotted time, I called. He turns over pocket 9s and MHIG. I put feel over odds and came out ahead. If he had made a reasonable bet on the river, or not just knocked out a pretty fair stack I may not have done this. Probably mathematically wrong, but sometimes I listen to my gut. Sometimes I am right, sometimes I am wrong. In this case I felt he was trying to make a move with this bet.