PDA

View Full Version : What do I do????

pr0crastin8r
07-17-2004, 07:05 AM
This was the first decent hand I flopped all night, but when the guy went all-in I folded. Would you have done the same???

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed)

UTG (t958)
UTG+1 (t1005)
Hero (t867)
MP2 (t2280)
CO (t475)
Button (t600)
SB (t1055)
BB (t760)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t50, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t50, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (t200) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t710 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: t910
<font color="green">Main Pot: t200 (t200), won by BB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t710 (t710), returned to BB.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. BB wins t910. </font>

La Brujita
07-17-2004, 07:21 AM
What level tournament is it? Did you have a read on the player?

There are a lot of draws out there so he may well be on a draw. He also could well have flopped two pair or up.

Not a very definitive post but it is what it is.

Perhaps I should give an answer but these type of situations point to the difficulty of giving definitive answers in a vacuum. This is not a comment on your post in any way, it is just a thought I have on the "art" vs. "science" of big bet poker.

I might just be in an equivocal mood because I faced some very tough poker decisions last night and am not really sure I passed with flying colors.

pr0crastin8r
07-17-2004, 07:41 AM
I hadn't seen him go all-in yet, and I didn't pin him on being a big bluffer/blind stealer. I figured he probably had two pair...

pr0crastin8r
07-17-2004, 07:42 AM
oh, and its 10+1

La Brujita
07-17-2004, 07:43 AM
Based on your read I let it go.

PrayingMantis
07-17-2004, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on your read I let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and this is even more correct since you (I mean hero) didn't raise PF. Your open-limp with AJ when blinds are alreay 50, is a bit problematic, IMO, and that's why you find yourself with 3 other hands in the pot, pretty much random hands, and don't know where you stand, even when you flop TPTK. BB can push of course with hands you are ahead of (draws, weaker pairs?), but as you read him, and in an unraised pot, there's a big enough chance he's on a 2p, and folding is better, I believe.

patrick dicaprio
07-17-2004, 08:44 AM
why just call 50? this should be a raise or fold hand I think. if you havent played a hand in a while you will be viewed as tight and you can take the blinds. why gamble with AJ and call?

i would fold on the flop also but he probably has a strong draw maybe Tc8c or something. if the blinds were larger I would call.

Pat

patrick dicaprio
07-17-2004, 08:47 AM
i am not sure why others think he has two pair. in an unraised pot preflop he wont bet all in with two pair but will likely slowplay. with small blinds even if a draw is out there he still probably wouldnt go all in but would make a pot sized bet at most. but i have only played about 50 of these or so so maybe others have seen this situation more than I have.

Pat

PrayingMantis
07-17-2004, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i am not sure why others think he has two pair. in an unraised pot preflop he wont bet all in with two pair but will likely slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not that I *think* he has 2p. The question is, what is the range of hands he'll push here with, And how much of the time you'll be a ahead. The read on this player is that he's not stealing or bluffing to much, which increases the probablity of a made hand. What kind of a made hand? 2P is very possible, since he's on BB, and it's an unraised pot. Many players will push with 2p, as it looks like a bluff, they don't want to give free cards, and want to win this down. It is not rare at all. Sure it's possible you're folding the best hand, but making a CALL here is marginal, IMO, especially since it was an unraised pot. Against certain players, and in later levels (and certainly if there was a raise PF, which reduces *signifcantly* the probability of a 2p) it could be an auto call. Here, it's close, and I don't like making close calls in such situations. Others may disagree. It also depends on the buy-in, ofcourse. The higher it gets, the more marginal moves you have to make.

Eder
07-17-2004, 11:15 AM
With the flush draw on table I think he went all in with 2 pair...good lay down...definetly if you had raised 3xBB preflop you would have more info on your opponent's hand

BradleyT
07-17-2004, 11:22 AM
I would push with 2 pair here from BB. The range of hands people would be playing are close to the board cards meaning straight draws are very possible as well as flush draws as well as top pair x kicker.

I sure as hell ain't gonna let someone draw to beat me for 100 chips in a situation like this.