PDA

View Full Version : Most over-rated comedy routine...

El Barto
07-17-2004, 06:27 AM
George Carlin's 7 dirty words

"I Liked The [censored], Piss, [censored], Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, And Tits So Much, I Bought The Company!"

hmmmm..... only 2 censored words /images/graemlins/blush.gif

astroglide
07-17-2004, 06:30 AM
most overrated? there are millions of more overrated examples: jeff foxworthy, yakov smirnoff, etc.

El Barto
07-17-2004, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
most overrated? there are millions of more overrated examples: jeff foxworthy, yakov smirnoff, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be overrated, there must be a ground swell of appreciative praise for a routine. I don't remember that for any of your examples.

J_V
07-17-2004, 06:37 AM
The guy w/ the bald head that swears a lot.....AND Rick James bitch.

Duke
07-17-2004, 07:41 AM
The Rick James thing is only funny when Dave does it.

~D

Duke
07-17-2004, 07:45 AM
That routine wasn't the best of Carlin.

I'll answer a similar question. Who are the most overrated comics?

Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Jay Leno, and many more. Woody because he would always tell a joke in the worst possible way. Even if it was funny, he'd screw it up. Bill because he was never funny at all. Jay because I'm sick of his ass on the Tonight Show.

~D

J_V
07-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Bill Cosby stand up is good. The Cosby show sucks, but that doesn't make him bad.

Rushmore
07-17-2004, 10:23 AM
One word: GALLAGHER!!!

Alobar
07-17-2004, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner

I was going to say carrot top, but then I realized no one actually thinks hes funny. Where as gallagher still sells out shows.

Tuds75
07-17-2004, 11:59 AM
What about Jeanine Garofalo. Somebody must think she is funny because just when you think her career is over she resurfaces in some horrible comedic role. Also Carlin's 7 dirty words were all dirty back when he wrote the joke.

Alobar
07-17-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also Carlin's 7 dirty words were all dirty back when he wrote the joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, if you dont think they are all stll dirty, go up to a woman and call her a cunt and just see what happens

Rushmore
07-17-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
heh, if you dont think they are all stll dirty, go up to a woman and call her a cunt and just see what happens

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is why I can't keep a girlfriend.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Anything that Bob Hope did.

baggins
07-17-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about Jeanine Garofalo. Somebody must think she is funny because just when you think her career is over she resurfaces in some horrible comedic role. Also Carlin's 7 dirty words were all dirty back when he wrote the joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Janeane Garofalo is pretty funny, actually.

I'm agreeing with the nomination of 'Gallagher'...

astroglide
07-17-2004, 02:39 PM
To be overrated, there must be a ground swell of appreciative praise for a routine. I don't remember that for any of your examples.

are you kidding? they are both huge.

while i think that conan o'brien and jon stewart are funny guys, i don't like the fact that nobody is willing to criticize them for anything. somehow they are like above the law. kinda like nicole kidman; "everybody says" she's hot in hollywood, yet i do not know of a singular person that is actually interetested in her. different from the conan/stewart thing, but the same level of collusion.

Rushmore
07-17-2004, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything that Bob Hope did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who, until fairly recently, utilized the following line a lot:

What kind of a world is it where (insert recently deceased person) dies, YET BOB HOPE IS ALLOWED TO CONTINUE BREATHING???!

So, to my friend, I guess Mr. Hope's death was a mixed blessing.

Alobar
07-17-2004, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ kinda like nicole kidman; "everybody says" she's hot in hollywood, yet i do not know of a singular person that is actually interetested in her.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do now, because the things I would do to her arn't even allowed in a Tialand whore house.

Oh yeah, and I came up with someone even more overrated than gallagher. Ben Stiller. Andy Dick is a close second, hes actually alot less funny, but Ben Stiller is hyped alot more.

B Dids
07-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Not that I've seen it, but I know more people with taste that say good things about Gallager than don't.

I think Leno is horrible.

Mitch Hedberg, who some people like, just seems like a low rent Stephen Wright.

Anybody's who's primary act is making fun of their own race gets on my nerves (glares at Margaret Cho).

J_V
07-17-2004, 09:31 PM
I don't know too much about Bob Hope, but the whole Oscar routine about him being passed over every year was pretty funny.

Clarkmeister
07-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Who's on first. Lock.

Diplomat
07-17-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm with J_V here, Cosby's stand up is very good. The other two I agree with though.

-Diplomat

MicroBob
07-17-2004, 09:58 PM
i like both steven wright and mitch hedberg.
i like steven wright better of course....and find his humor more intellectual and obviuously his delivery is more dead-pan (hard to get deader)...but i agree there are certain similarities between the two.

i saw steven wright live a couple years ago and he was actually better than my highest expectations.

i also liked yakov when he first came out.

catch some old re-runs of the Ben Stiller show sometime....Ben Stiller, Andy Dick and Janeane Garafalo are all 'i cant even breathe' funny in many of the sketches.

all 3 of them are significantly unfunnier in almost everything they have done since then.

some of bill cosby's stand-up stuff was pretty ground-breaking. i had a friend who had 2 or 3 of his records that we listened to a lot around Jr H.S. or so....maybe that in itself says something.

before i even opened this thread i immediately thought 'gallagher'. jay leno is up there too...as is letterman who i don't think has been very funny for about the last 10 years (if not longer).

i'll nominate Drew Carey for the very top of the list.

MicroBob
07-17-2004, 10:03 PM
i still like the who's on first sketch. a lot.

there were a couple of guys who did a who's on first sketch using the names of the 'current' NY Yankees (few years ago).
THAT was freaking hilarious.

"Tino Martinez is on first."
"The guy at first"
"Tino Martinez"
"The guy at first"
"Tino Martinez"
angry "THE GUY AT FIRST?"
"Robin Ventura??"
in unison "3rd base!!"

something like that anyway.

Josh W
07-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Worst post in history of 2+2. Who's on first was/is/always will be a classic.

In fact, I've heard this (but haven't done the research to verify it), Abbott and Costello are the only two non-baseball related people in the Hall of Fame. Amazing, really.

(of course, I've had some/many posts worse than the one I'm referencing, so don't take the first statement literally. Or do, but know that I'm mocking you for doing so).

Josh

Clarkmeister
07-17-2004, 10:58 PM
"Who's on first was/is/always will be a classic."

Proof that I'm correct. The fact that so many people think it's a classic when it is profoundly unfunny and irritating about halfway through the first time you hear it makes it a dead ringer for the "most overrated" title.

Inthacup
07-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Anything having to do with pattern mapping.

astroglide
07-18-2004, 12:51 AM
i think everybody loves raymond eats balls. what is the demographic for that show?

baggins
07-18-2004, 01:24 AM
"catch some old re-runs of the Ben Stiller show sometime....Ben Stiller, Andy Dick and Janeane Garafalo are all 'i cant even breathe' funny in many of the sketches."

quite true.

"all 3 of them are significantly unfunnier in almost everything they have done since then"

true enough. although, they are still pretty damned funny, although some of their stuff is more SNL funny than Ben Stiller Show funny. I really like Wet Hot American Summer though, featuring members of the odl sketch comedy show, The State, and Janeane Garofalo, Molly Shannon, David Hyde Pierce, Phil (or is it Paul?) Rudd, and others. pretty dang funny man. check it out if you haven't.

Inthacup
07-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Inmates and the old lady down the street with 37 cats.

Cup

astroglide
07-18-2004, 02:00 AM
"i swear to christ i saw a god damn dracula" from the andy dick show is like one of the funniest things ever

Daliman
07-18-2004, 03:07 AM
It's funny that both Carrot Top and Gallagher are both eternal punchlines when talking about bad comedy, but Carrot Top is VERY funny in his shows, and I'm sure that most anyone who saw his show would have a great time. I'm not even going to mention how popular he is in Vegas, because that doesn't really mean that much in my opinion.

As far as Gallagher is concerned, everyone makes fun of him for the watermelon smashing routine, but think about this;
#1 most people couldn't name 5 comedians without major national network TV exposure if they saw them, but I bet most would recognize Gallagher.
#2 Gallagher is actually a very astute, topical, and insightful comedian(or at least he was, been awhile since I've seen current material of his).
#3 Also, not that it matters in the context of the thread, but I think Gallagher applies somewhat to one of the best hollywood quotes ever, said by none other than Pauly Shore( who was also actually a pretty good standup if you like that kind of comedy)"Yeah, I'm a big idiot, everyone thinks so, and I'll be a has-been in 3 years. A has-been with 3 million in the bank.

MicroBob
07-18-2004, 03:25 AM
i forgot to mention Gilbert Gottfried.
he completely cracks me up.....but i know there are a lot of people that him.

i was going to mention Ray Romano because of that stupid show....but his stand-up is pretty funny actually.

GWB
07-18-2004, 06:24 AM
Pauly Shore - the California "cult comic genius".

(I make this statement only because I am not counting on California to put me over the top this election)

MicroBob
07-18-2004, 04:02 PM
i think George W. Bush is the most UNDER-rated comedian.

uuDevil
07-18-2004, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
....Bill Cosby....

[/ QUOTE ]

The only explanation I can think of for including Cosby is that you haven't seen his concert tape, "Himself."

"[singing] Dad is great! He gave us chocolate cake!"

Hahaha /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

danderso8
07-19-2004, 01:54 AM
Everyone i know thinks he's pretty funny, in an "oh my god, that is freakin scary" kind of way.

--dan

Deorum
07-19-2004, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"i swear to christ i saw a god damn dracula" from the andy dick show is like one of the funniest things ever

[/ QUOTE ]

I fell out of my chair laughing when I read this.

scotnt73
07-19-2004, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gotta be

drewjustdrew
07-19-2004, 01:46 PM
How about anything relating to "eat your breakfast, there are starving children in china?"

Never happened in my house, but evidently it was rampant amongst comedians' households.

Sloats
07-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Anything by Andy Kaufman.

Inside jokes are only funny to those on the inside.

That, and O&A's buttplug phone call.

wayabvpar
07-19-2004, 02:39 PM
How in the name of all that is holy has Carrot Top not been mentioned in every single post in this thread? He is about as funny as a chemotherapy session.

Close behind on the 'so unfunny it hurts' list-
Gallagher
Mario Joyner
Paul Rodriguez
Sinbad
Pauly Shore

Why can't we see a reality show where one of these hacks is eaten by a rabid tiger every week?

Duke
07-19-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Cosby stand up is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't.

[ QUOTE ]
The Cosby show sucks, but that doesn't make him bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does, and you're right about that too.

~D

Sloats
07-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Simple. No one has ever accused him of being funny.

Rushmore
07-19-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gallagher
Mario Joyner
Paul Rodriguez
Sinbad
Pauly Shore

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me add one more: George Wallace.

How and why did this guy get elevated to actually funny status? It seems almost impossible.

wayabvpar
07-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Wallace may have made me smile once or twice, but for the most part, he is an unfunny version of John Witherspoon (http://www.bangbangbangbang.com/welcome.html) (who totally cracks me up).

riverflush
07-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Janeane Garafalo is whatever the opposite of funny is. She's so uptight and self-important, that when I'm forced to consume entertainment that includes her I actually lose some previously memorized humor. She actually REMOVES fun from my brain, a little bit at a time.

Alobar
07-20-2004, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think George W. Bush is the most UNDER-rated comedian.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with that is he isn't trying to be funny

Alobar
07-20-2004, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....Bill Cosby....

[/ QUOTE ]

The only explanation I can think of for including Cosby is that you haven't seen his concert tape, "Himself."

"[singing] Dad is great! He gave us chocolate cake!"

Hahaha /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When i was 8 I thought bill cosby standup was funny. Maybe its just cuz I'm a sick bastard and comedians are so raunch now, but when I watch his standup from back in the day, it's just so not funny.

That and anyone who does a TV show called "kids say the darndest things" should be bitch slapped for catering to the "ticking biological clock" demographic

deacsoft
07-20-2004, 02:22 PM
The Rick James series on Chappell's Show may be one of the best pieces of sketch comedy in the last few years.

deacsoft
07-20-2004, 02:28 PM
I kind of feel bad about saying this, but I'm going to stand by my TOP TEN nomination.

I expected so much more from Dennis Leary. I think he's very good, but his HBO special sucked. Although he’s not brought up as much as others, when he is I never hear anything bad about him. Therefore, making him over rated.

Many of the others posted above are worse, but Dennis Leary should make the top ten.

heavybody
07-20-2004, 06:24 PM
I never understood why they were considered funny.

MicroBob
07-20-2004, 08:27 PM
i agree with your assessment on Leary.
he really faded fast and should/could have been positively huge.

he might have been focusing more on his movie-career and tv commercials more (who can blame him).
and then he did that ridiculous 'A-Hole' song that just wasn't that funny...but he seemed awfully proud of himself.

i'm thinking about this a bit more and am deciding that Leno may win the most OVER-rated comedian. he's clips are frequently shown on various news-programs (thereby implying imo that he actually has something important to say and has his finger on the comedic and political pulse of the nation) and so forth and really isn't that terribly funny.

tolbiny
07-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Martin "The Black Paul Riser" Lawerence.

ohh- or the white paul riser

i cant decide

Duke
07-21-2004, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How in the name of all that is holy has Carrot Top not been mentioned in every single post in this thread? He is about as funny as a chemotherapy session.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a comedy show with some poker buddies of mine, and found out that it was going to be Carrot Top. "Uh oh," I thought. I assumed that he'd be as moronic and annoying as I could imagine.

Oddly, though, I laughed my ass off several times during his show. So, I guess there is a subset of people who think he's funny. Surely no 2 people enjoy the exact same brand of humor.

~D

Sloats
07-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Dude, I won't even admit to laughing at a Rich Vos show....

Oski
07-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Ok, not exactly a routine, but the most overrated comedian, funny person, or comic actor, etc. has to be Chevy Chase. The guy gets by when he has a good script to work with but otherwise, he's hopeless. Away from the set, the guy is a total tool and can't be funny to save his life. He can't improvise worth a lick and his jokes and quips either make you cringe or scratch your head.

CORed
07-21-2004, 01:47 PM
The one thing we can be thankful for is that George W. Bush, or someone like him, wan't president during the cold war. Otherwise, the few of us fortunate (or is it unfortunate) enough to survive would be trying to snare rabbits, or digging through the rubble of grocery stores looking for canned food.

beernutz
07-28-2004, 01:04 AM
Richard Lewis.

Thanks for playing, enjoy your lovely parting gifts.

HowardStern
07-28-2004, 01:17 AM
I thought mine was. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brian
07-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Saw Gallagher at the Grand in Tunica about a year ago. I enjoyed it a lot, but then again, I've loved all of his shows that I've seen on TV.

I don't think that he would qualify as being most overrated though, because I don't think he's as popular as someone like Jay Leno, who absolutely stinks IMO.

-Brian

astroglide
07-28-2004, 11:35 AM
who actually claims to like richard lewis though?

ArchAngel71857
07-28-2004, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Saw Gallagher at the Grand in Tunica about a year ago. I enjoyed it a lot, but then again, I've loved all of his shows that I've seen on TV.

I don't think that he would qualify as being most overrated though, because I don't think he's as popular as someone like Jay Leno, who absolutely stinks IMO.

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, its so easy to take cuts at Jay Leno. But the fact of the matter is he's out there every night with fresh material and he's absolutely charming.

-AA

Oski
07-28-2004, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, its so easy to take cuts at Jay Leno. But the fact of the matter is he's out there every night with fresh material and he's absolutely charming.

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy like Leno needs to be held to even a higher standard ... he has a whole team of comedy writers. I cannot believe how lame most his jokes are.

bernie
07-28-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who's on first. Lock.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the 1st one that came to my mind. Though not my prime.

Ever notice Quentin Tarrantino uses this schtick in some movies. Except you put the 'F' word in everythere sentence. He also tends to let that 'routine' go on a bit too long. Long after the point is made.

b

bernie
07-28-2004, 02:58 PM
The 3 stooges.

I'm sorry. I just don't get what's so funny about 'em. I think they suck. Always have thought that.

People who just start up with their act, as in acting it out, i just wanna hurl.

b

andyfox
07-28-2004, 03:03 PM
When I was eight years old, they were the funniest thing I ever saw. I imagine they would still be were I still eight.

B Dids
07-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Fresh!?

Remind me not to come to your house and eat your food if that's your definition of "fresh". /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
07-29-2004, 02:11 AM
routines... thats hard, but here are some Comedians who are grossely overated.
1. Leno.... he truely sucks...no one is worse
2. Ben Stiller.... totally not funny
3. JImmy Kimmel.... really not funny, think about it
4. Jimmy Fallon.... his hair and his face are funny, thats it.
5. Janinie Garofolo (sp?? actually I don't give a [censored]) she use to be funny, but to political now.

underated (in no particular order)
Bob Hope... Golden.... no argument here IMO
Cosby.... funny, even though he doesn;t swear, but his commentary on life is dead on, and incredibly silly. Love the chocolate cake for breakfast bit.
Chris Tucker.... he sort of fell of the face of the earth but still is one funny fucker
Paul Rodriguez
Bob Dole....hehe

Gabe
07-29-2004, 02:17 PM
This comedian was asked what other comedians thought of Carrot Top. His answer: “Other comedians think of Carrot Top the same way other vampires think of Count Chocula.”