PDA

View Full Version : K8s in a raised pot. Better way to play this?

Chris Daddy Cool
07-17-2004, 04:01 AM
UB 10/20 full game

Loose game with moderate aggression. The preflop raiser hasn't really done much this session to make me believe he's good or bad. Haven't seen him do anything out of line or anything like that.

UTG calls. UTG+1 raises. MP calls. LP calls. CO calls.
I call in the SB with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. BB calls. UTG calls. 7 players to the flop.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I check. BB checks. UTG checks. UTG+1 bets. MP calls. LP and CO fold. I call. BB calls. UTG folds. 4 to the turn.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I check. BB checks. UTG+1 bets. MP calls. I call. BB calls.

River: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
It's checked around.

Do you guys see a better way to play this?
Comments on all streets please.

Guido
07-17-2004, 04:50 AM
Preflop is pretty close getting 7:1 but I think it's fine as long as you don't expect a re-raise behind you from the BB or UTG. I would bet out on the flop and hope UTG+1 raises to drive the rest out.

When he doesn't raise I would bet out again on the turn. Since you didn't bet out on the flop I would play the turn the same way.

River seems fine...

Thanks,

Guido

Michael Davis
07-17-2004, 07:17 AM
Yeah, I bet the flop and hope the UTG+1 player raises with AQ or QQ or JJ or something. If I'm not planning on folding this here, which barring some major resistance I'm not, I'm betting.

-Michael

Baulucky
07-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Fold preflop?

Thunderhead
07-17-2004, 11:03 AM
My gut reaction is to fold pre-flop, but with a raiser and three cold-callers, I'm thinking I should get into the 10/20 game at UB.

On this flop, I generally bet, then make a decision if I get raised. Having checked, I think you should raise to drive out the guys between you. Plus if he three bets you (which he should with a real hand to drive out MP), you're almost certainly beat and can comfortably muck. (unless he's a maniac, which explains three cold-callers, then call him down.)

Turn and River, depends on the flop betting: If you put in the last bet, keep going. If not, see above.

Rico Suave
07-17-2004, 11:11 AM
CDC:

I would fold preflop here....call with KTs, maybe K9s, but probably not. I doubt you are interested in debating your preflop call, though. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I agree with guido. Lead the flop and hope to get raised and go from there. Since you check/called, I am not sure how else you can play the turn.....I do not think raising is the play.

Rico

Baulucky
07-17-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you are interested in debating your preflop call, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the thing to do though?. These type of hands, even when they flop something "reasonable" (like in this case) can't lead the betting with any confidence at all.

TheHip41
07-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Fold pre flop
Facing a raise from early position, your only hope is to flop 2 hearts.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-17-2004, 08:21 PM
The original pf raiser had QQ. Another guy had a missed OESD, and another had middle pair, and MHIG.

Thinking back, I think I shoulda bet the flop and hoped to get raised to drive people out. My reasoning at the time why I didn't do that was that even if that does happen, nobody with a K is going to fold anyways and I could very well be dominated out of position. I'd much rather see a showdown cheaply. However, I realize I don't necessarily need any K to fold. That's not my reason for betting. It's to drive out any potential draws out there or A chasers that could hurt me (though just about any draw would be correct to call two bets anyways given the pot size, but I want them to INCORRECTLY fold).

But given the way I played the flop, I think I have to play the turn and river that way.

Chris