PDA

View Full Version : PokerStars Limit....THIS easy?

kyro
07-17-2004, 01:23 AM
Heylo,

I've made a complete renovation of my game the past few weeks. I tightened up my starting hands considerably and I think this fact alone has improved my game tremendously. Lately, I've been staying away from NL and sticking with Limit, as I have way too much to learn in NL to be throwing in 5 bucks per tourney/ring game.

So recently, I've been playing 5+.50 tourneys on PokerStars, limit only. The results have been amazing thus far. Six tournaments, 2 firsts, 2 thirds, and a second.

I know, I know. Six tournaments is such an incredibly small sample size you can't take much from it. But the thing is, I feel like I'm better then EVERY single person at the table. The couple of times I've lost, I felt like I was "outplayed" but still the better player and could learn from the outcome.

So is PokerStars low limit tourneys this bad? Am I starting to learn how to play poker? Or am I just getting slapped with the deck. It honestly doesn't feel like it. AA being bitchslapped by A2, KK going down to T8, QQ finding its way against KK and JJ that flops the set. OESFD's not hitting. Everything feels normal about the cards I'm getting. I'm just winning for once. What do you think?

Phill S
07-17-2004, 01:49 PM
i dont generally venture down the list to find limit tourneys, but ive played a couple and the competition is rarely big. if you play 'proper' hands you will crush opponents more in limit than no limit.

what this indicates is that a good player does better at limit than not, assuming competition levels stay relative.

however, as you say, you dont have a huge sample size, but one reason why you do better is you think you are better, whether true or not. confidence is key to tourney play. thats why small amounts of alcohol can increase playing ability (note the term small). if you feel invincible you play as if you are invicible.

keep in there, you may have found your niche.

whatever the competition, if you learn from your mistakes you will come out best long term. this is the most encouraging thing about your post.

Geng
07-17-2004, 09:25 PM
It really pays to keep track of where you're winning and loosing. I've been playing since the 1st of the year on Pacific and use a speadsheet to track my daily results. I did real well early but when I hit +$1300 I ran into a brick wall and was floating between +800 and +1300 since March. Last month I setup a 2nd spreadsheet to track each tournament individually and SUPRISE! I suck at heads up. While my daily were showing mostly +$ with an occasional - big $ the 2nd spreadsheet showed me which tournies I did well at and which ones I didn't. Now I mostly play 5 person $30 and 20 person 8$. Occasionally I play a $30 heads up (which is where I was showing my major loss) but only if I'm up big on the night. I'd like to say I'd give them up completely but I like the adrenaline rush too much.

(edit: and yes since I started doing this I was finally able to pull money out of the account again)

-Geng