PDA

View Full Version : Steal gone wrong. Call re-raise instead of push with A7o?

AA suited
07-17-2004, 12:29 AM
$10+1

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t2823)
Button (t4187)
HERO (t990)

Preflop: HERO is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Button folds, HERO raises to t250, BB raises to t400, HERO raises to t990 (All-In), BB calls t590.

Flop: (t1980) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1980) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1980) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1980

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Jh Jd (two pair, jacks and nines).
HERO shows Ah 7d (two pair, nines and fours).
Outcome: BB wins t1980. </font>

I was multitabling, so i have no reads. And yes, down to 3 players at lvl 4. I'm ITM. I now go aggressive and gamble for 1st.

So i was trying to steal with a 2.5BB raise. BB defended. Calling would have left me with 6BB, thus an automatic push for me.

But should i have just called instead? Or fold? or should i have not even tried the steal and just call?

hm.. Just thought of something: Or should I have used a stop and go?

Your thoughts of the best option?

AJo Go All In
07-17-2004, 01:16 AM
you need to have a plan before you take action. in this case you are getting called anyway, but if you intend to call for your whole stack, you should put it in yourself. you don't want action with A7.

AA suited
07-17-2004, 01:46 AM
hm..you're right. a7o would not be a hand that i would bet 10BB preflop. so going all-in is the wrong option.

With the re-raise, the pot was 650. for 150 more to see the flop, it's an easy call?

AleoMagus
07-17-2004, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hm..you're right. a7o would not be a hand that i would bet 10BB preflop. so going all-in is the wrong option.

With the re-raise, the pot was 650. for 150 more to see the flop, it's an easy call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Three handed, I think it should be.

A7 is almost not even a steal hand at this point. After the button has folded it is simply a strong hand. a call from QK or KJ here would be ok in my opinion.

As you only have 990 anyways, you are at the less than 10BB point and that is not a bad time to start playing push or fold.

I notice that you are using the 2.5 BB strategy, so considering your usual opener is only about 1/4 of your stack, you probably were less inclined to push.

I think a push is correct preflop, and it's just too bad that he had JJ in this spot. He 's gonna call all the way here no matter what you do, but I do like the stop and go idea. Push that flop and maybe a weak player will fold thinking you hit a nine. Unlikely, but maybe.

Regards
Brad S

patrick dicaprio
07-17-2004, 08:51 AM
i would have pushed here preflop from the getgo. so it shows you what i know. the fact is you are shor stacked and have to gamble and running into JJ is unlucky but that doesnt mean it was the wrong play.

one reason to just push by the way is that a decent stack with a good hand will reraise you everytime forcing you to go all in or fold if you were flat stealing, so from his perspective if you are flat out stealing then he can reraise and force you to fold and you are basically done, or you will call with a mediocre hand. if i had your hand in his position i would have reraised you. to avoid this i think you are better off just pushing. in this situation he would have called anyway so it wouldnt have made a difference.

Pat

AA suited
07-17-2004, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice that you are using the 2.5 BB strategy, so considering your usual opener is only about 1/4 of your stack, you probably were less inclined to push.

I think a push is correct preflop, and it's just too bad that he had JJ in this spot. He 's gonna call all the way here no matter what you do, but I do like the stop and go idea. Push that flop and maybe a weak player will fold thinking you hit a nine. Unlikely, but maybe.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, only 25% of my stack, thus i my reason for not pushing.

since i've found re-raising all in is bad in this situation, i would have done a stop and go if i called his raise.

but the question is at what point do i call and what point should i fold? ie: how much above the 150 raise is the break point where i should fold?

stupidsucker
07-17-2004, 02:58 PM
a7o SB is autopush for me 3handed. (if button folds)

I rarely screw around with anything but a push at this stage.