PDA

View Full Version : is this guy good or lucky or stupid?

sxz18
07-17-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm usually a 3/6 PartyPoker player and just today, I decided that I was good enough to hit up 5/10. I built up a bankroll and brushed up on my skills before going and I had great results.

However, there was this one player at my table who I couldn't tell if he was good or lucky or just plain stupid. This guy seemed to go in on about 50%-60% of his hands and won about 75% of the time he went in. I know for a fact he didn't have good cards everytime, but it seemed like he bet into people a lot on the river and got them to fold or he check-raised the flop and bet into them on the turn and got them to fold. It amazes me that he can win such a large amount of his pots without ever really running into trouble. Most of the time, he was just "dancing" with his cards it seemed like...maybe playing his bottom pair like a top pair or something but nobody at the table (even the people who seemed like they knew what they were doing) rarely ever called him down.

Is this guy just a loose cannon randomly raising and reraising or is a tricky player that's way above the 5/10 level (perhaps a solid 15/30 player playing at 5/10)?

nepenthe
07-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Count one vote for lucky+stupid. Just make sure he doesn't inspire you to begin playing crap.

tech
07-17-2004, 02:30 AM
Even the worst players have nights when they win a ton of money. That is what keeps them coming back.

GuidoSarducci
07-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Another vote for Lucky+Stupid.

I love these guys, because if you end up having a hand, these guys will play it for you.

Was this one of those guys who would slow down if you fired back at him? If not, I wouldn't leave until he busted out or left, I don't care what I had to do that day.

StellarWind
07-18-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This guy seemed to go in on about 50%-60% of his hands and won about 75% of the time he went in.

[/ QUOTE ]
You cannot win by playing that way in the long run. He was lucky. As for stupid, who am I to judge that? Sounds like he was having a lot of fun. He may well know better.

There is absolutely nothing more devastating in poker than a loose-aggressive player with hot cards. When it works, it really, really works. When it's not working ... imagine for yourself. Not working is what happens in the long run.

Beware that this type of player has enormous volatility and he shares it with the whole table. He can break a good player with an inadequate bankroll.