PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like a loser corrected?

03-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Corrected version.

Not much poker here but could be important. But if you are a poker purist this post is not for you.

If you read Mason's hand to talk about below you'll know I sweated him yesterday afternoon. I was going to go to a movie but as I was leaving Bellagio's after finishing up a 9 hour session I decided to talk with Mason for a bit instead.

I played 15 Holdem at Bellagio's yesterday. i won $870. My record is in tact. So how come I felt like a loser when I was all done. It wasn't because I lossed a set over set hand to Darren. I had pocket sixes to a q,6,5 board that was unraised preflop and thought hey alright. Darren was in the blind (can't remember if it was samll or big). It's a big mistake not to remember which blind Darren was in. Darren doesn't call much from the SB. Big mistake. Anyway I smelted a rat when Darren bet the turn. I smelted a rat but I raised the cheese anyway and when Darren made it three cheeses on wheat I knew I was toast. I knew he had a big hand but I called anyway. I even called his River bet and acknowledged his set of Queens like a good little second hand set should do. But you know what I thoguht my play was o.k there and didn't give it another thought until writing this post. It certainly didn't make me feel like a loser. No it wasn't that. No it was the way the night ended. I was up 1100 and called 5 bets preflop with a 5,6o. I was on tilt! I was upset. I was pissed off. I felt like aloser and quite frankly behaved like one.

Why? Hey this freakin kid from Tommay Angelo's part of the country did it. Well no he didn't I di he just acted as the catylyst. Pocket red tens UTG. I raised. Sitting next to me this California Kid made it three bets. Flop Kh,6s,4h. I checked, he bet I called. Turn, 2d. Check, bet...think... fold. He turns over 9s,8s. And I fell stupid. A kid from California makes me feel stupid. Then I start playing like a loser. That's how a loser plays when he feels stupid. He calls 5 bets with a ,5,6o. I let this kid use a simple tactic like running a bluff send me on tilt. A tactic that all good poker players know and use. A tactic I use myself. I was not prepared. I wanted to win but was not prepared to win. I was played the fool and acted like one. I felt like a lose even being $870 ahead and you know something I was right.

My only saving grace was that I quit for the night. I feel better now. Think I'll run over to the Bellagio for another session. Hey thanks for listening, it helped.

Vince

03-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Try Stoicism. It can help.

-Zeno

03-10-2002, 06:22 PM
you get down on yourself for a 870 win, but you are correct...good therapy too...getting out of game, recognizing you are sometimes(rarely) human, but sweating a top player gets you back to real play...keep at it...gl

03-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Vince- Darrin is a little tricky, as you know, but it surprizes me that he didn't raise with the pocket queens. I don't know how many people were in the hand to start with, but it must have been more than 3 before it got to him? Do you recall how many were in? Also, he could have had A,Q or K,Q (obviously), so how do you not call with trips? He can put you on tilt sometimes, but he usually does it with suited 3-gapped cards. BTW, "smelted" a rat is not the correct term. A "smelt" is a fish that looks like a sardine. Lots of Italian families cook em around x-mas. If you are around the next time I make them, I'll bring you some. I hope you are not trying to say that you smelled like a smelt (fish) at the table! XXOO. Babe