PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 Hand

03-09-2002, 08:17 PM
I am small blind with 89Spades. Game 10 handed. 5 people call. Button raises. I call, big blind calls.Everyone else calls

8 people see the flop.

Flop - 10s,9h,2d. I flop 2nd pair. Everyone checks to the button, button bets. All call except one.

Turn - 4s. I have a flush draw now. Everyone checks to the button. Button bets. everone calls.

First Question-Shall i have raised here,to try to go maybe go heads up against the button.

River - 5h. Everyone checks to the button. Button bets. There is $780 in the pot(I didnt realize it then, that was another mistake) I thought for 10seconds. Button is a solid player and with 6 people behind me I fold. Big blind calls with A5, everyone folds. Button wins with 88.

What all did I do wrong?

All comments appreciated.

03-09-2002, 10:05 PM
On the flop your call is good, on the turn you have to consider the person your playing against is the button a rock who would only raise on the button when several people limp with JJ, QQ, KK or Aces or would he raise with suited connectors and middle pocket pairs to gain free cards later on etc.. either way i would have still raised him on the turn and checked the river if i didn't improve.

-MJ

03-10-2002, 01:43 AM
you should post the results in a different post after you get some responses.

i would raise on the flop to try and thin the field and increase my chances of winning.

i would raise the turn to try and thin the field and increase my chances of winning.

i would raise the river to try and thin the field and increase my chances of winning. (someone will probably fold a better 9 here--or even a ten!--if they have to call two bets cold on the river).

03-10-2002, 03:04 AM
Call, check, call, check, call, check, fold.

If I review my actions for hands I win in a session, I doubt there are very many, if any, where I don't raise somewhere along the line. Especially with a pair of 9s; they need protection. If someone told me I could play 9-8s up front, and would catch a 9 on the flop and a flush draw on the turn, but I'd have to check-call on each street, I'd fold pre-flop.

And, if I don't know how much money is in the pot, it makes it a lot easier for me to make the wrong decision.

03-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Calling stations rarely win, and that's what you played this hand like. Ya gotta checkraise either the flop or turn (or both), then check-call the river. With second pair you definitely don't want all those players (who are obviously calling stations) in the hand to fill their draws.

Back to battle,

Riker

P.S. You make want to list the results separately.