PDA

View Full Version : Bottom two - 3-bet river?

Rocco
07-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Ok... First of all, I know many of you will argue about playing low suited connectors UTG, but I do it sometimes. Anyway, I bet out after the flop hit med good, planning to re-raise if Button had raised me. He didn't... Instead he raised me on the river... Was I OK to call? Should I have laid my cards down? 3-bet? Explain, please... What do you think he had?

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

River: (8 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

MoreWineII
07-16-2004, 07:27 PM
No way I would 3-bet the river with straights and flushes out there.

I assume he had 78.

devinthedude
07-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Dude, i know you dont want to hear it, but stop doing it sometimes in games like this. You are 7-handed, looks like the table is tight. If I were to play it in a game like this, it would be purely for deception purposes, and I would probably raise, even then, I wouldnt feel very good about it.

Maybe he hit a flush on the turn to me and waited to raise the river. Maybe he had a set of queens. I cant think of anything he would have played this way that you can beat. Maybe A /images/graemlins/club.gifAx, but I doubt it.

Rocco
07-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Do you actually think he would've raised pre-flop with 78?

devinthedude
07-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Are you serious?

Michael Davis
07-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Rocco,

You might do it sometimes, but there is no way you can make money on this hand.

Your opponent either has AA, KK, QQ, JJ, a flush, or is on a bluff with unmatched high cards. The only hands you want him to have are AA and KK. Again, this is why waiting until the river to raise with medium good hands can be such a good play.

If you can fold to a fourbet, I think raising is marginally bad. If you can't fold to a fourbet, I would rate it as very bad.

-Michael

MoreWineII
07-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Ah, for some reason I thought SB raised preflop. My bad.

Rocco
07-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Yep... You're probably right. I could definitely fold to a fourbet, but would I actually gain any money by a 3-bet? Guess he would never call a 3-bet with any of the hands I can beat. But, then again, this is Party so you'll never know ;o)

Rocco
07-17-2004, 06:10 AM
I was a bit surprised when Button tabled KK and I took it down /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Michael Davis
07-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Rocco,

I expect most of my opponents to pay off with AA and KK here. I just don't think they'll have those specific hands enough.

-Michael