PDA

View Full Version : bad set fold

imported_turvalon
07-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Okay, I think because I was down, I mean down a bunch, I got a little too timid with everything because I didn't want to lose any more money. When I was reviewing my hand I think I see the way I "should" have played it but I am still unsure so I see the advice of ye poker gods....

Paradise Poker 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP3 calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

I am not sure why MP1 would just call and then cap... anyone know why?

Flop: (17.40 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Because MP3 raises, for some reason, I thought he had AA because of the preflop 3 bet so I backed down and didn't 3 bet. I think I should have.

Turn: (12.70 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>

<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Here, since I still thought that MP3 had an ace set, plus the heart fell on the turn, I thought I would call down and wait for the raise to tell me if someone had a flush.

River: (16.70 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

This card just scared me right out of the pot. I have no idea why I folded but it was a dumb fold.

Final Pot: 18.70 BB

Results later per Bisonbison's advice.

So I made a bunch of huge errors here. Am I way off base with my assessment of how I should have played?

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jaran
07-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Hey turvalon,
3bet pf, 3bet the flop, lead the turn, cry a lot and call on the river, but you know all this.

-Jaran

Chris Daddy Cool
07-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Firstly, if you're playing too scared you shouldn't be playing anymore. Take a break.

But onto the hand.

3bet preflop.
3bet the flop.

That said, I'd still raise the turn even when the third heart falls.

The river fold isn't *that* bad with 3 players to act after UTG, I don't think UTG is bluffing.

AsusFull
07-16-2004, 06:24 PM
UTG most likely has 9's, maybe KJh?

You should have had both hands throwing chips preflop and on the flop. Should lead/or raise the turn I think also. and I don't know how you would play that river.

TrailofTears
07-16-2004, 06:30 PM
First, MP1 might cap because he is on a draw type of hand, or at least a flop-dependent hand (think 9Ts, 10Js, low PP, etc.) He can cap it because he knows he will get a lot of money in the pot for a cheap price because no one is going to fold at that point. If he hits his hand, he maximizes his money and busts the people with strong solo hands like yours. Sound about right?

Second, I would 3-bet the flop. This is very micro-limit and I wouldn't put it past someone to 3-bet PF with AQ or even worse. It also might scare off any draws.

It is very likely that UTG hit his flush, but you should call down anyways. The pot is huge here, you are getting nearly 18-1 on your call, and with a set of queens, it is worth the call.

TomCollins
07-16-2004, 06:46 PM
I don't play too much shorthanded, but with it 4 handed at the end, how can you consider calling without the flush. Your only other option is to raise which might scare out some weak hearts. You have two people to act behind you who might raise, I can't see calling here.

HajiShirazu
07-16-2004, 08:10 PM
MP1 called and capped because he's a clown and wanted to play a big pot. I really doubt he had a big hand. People do that crazy stuff all the time, especially at these stakes. With that said, I don't know why you didn't 3-bet yourself preflop.
Not taking it to 3 bets on this flop is really weak...I'm not going to sit and count them all out but he is far far more likely to have AK than AA here. There are what, three more AA combos while there are 12 more AK combos?
On the turn I don't fear the flush from UTG, there aren't many hands he could raise with UTG that have a flush here, also most players would cr if they had a flush...this type of bet usually means a hand that has either improved or was going to slowplay but is now afraid of the flush and being 3-bet if they cr...so you probably have him beat and you should raise, but you feared AA from the other guy so you didn't...bad news yet again.
On the river you're getting 17.7 to one on your call. UTG could easily have A9, AQ, or a set of nines, MP1 could have no hearts, and MP3 could have AK without any hearts...a bit of a reach but not miraculous by any means, so you have a call.

radek2166
07-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Just my opinion. 3 bet the flop ur ahead. I would say ur looking at atleast 1 if not 2 flush draws. maybe a stright. i am alos sure someone has total garbage. .05/.10 seems to draw that kind of player.

3 bet the turn.

IMHO ur fold was the right call. someone has the flush. u save urself 1 bb for later on or, u can call or raise hopeing to get a lower heart out. I think ur fold is the right call.

Ur beat

imported_turvalon
07-17-2004, 12:51 AM
Thanks everyone.. I knew I was playing this terrible.

results were:
UTG shows 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
MP3 shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

So I would have won that pot. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

AsusFull and HajiShirazu were right about UTG having 9's.

To HajiShirazu: I especially like this tip you gave - " most players would cr if they had a flush...this type of bet usually means a hand that has either improved or was going to slowplay but is now afraid of the flush and being 3-bet if they cr...so you probably have him beat"

Never really thought of it that way.

But there is some debate about the fold at the end. Some here say good, some say bad so I am a little unsure. On any other night I probably would have called anyway just to see but Chris Daddy Cool was right, I shouldn't have been playing when I was scared. That's no goot. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif