PDA

View Full Version : Sports that aren't - but should be - Olympic sports - and vice versa.

dogsballs
07-16-2004, 05:46 PM
My nomination for a sport to be included: No, not poker.
I'm talking outrigger canoe paddling - that sport'll kick your ass!! 6-man teams paddling hard together over a couple of miles. Requires strength, stamina, teamwork, technique. It's crazy that it's not an official Olympic sport, especially when you consider stuff like synchronised swimming.

Or what about that one where they wear top hats and tails and trot around on a dancing horse in an arena...wtf is that..?!!? The ancient greeks would be snorting their olives out their noses if they saw that stuff.

"Citius, altius, fortius: swifter, higher, stronger". They shuda kept it that way.

Any other nominations..?

Boris
07-16-2004, 05:51 PM
sports that shouldn't be in the olympics:
summer olympics - all events.

sports that should be in the olympics:
Winter Olympics - broom hocky, team snowball fighting, dead elk carcass dragging, hookybobbing, tobaggin jumping.

dogsballs
07-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Apart from the elk dragging, I can tell you've just got your tongue in your cheek.

TylerD
07-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Rugby & Curling respectivley.

natedogg
07-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Actually, we should drop the winter olympics and get rid of all summer olympics sports that are team sports or require judges.

Strip it down to track and field, wrestling, boxing, and swimming. That's it.

And fine anyone who has ever played for the dream team. Strip them of their citizenship.

natedogg

andyfox
07-17-2004, 02:34 AM

Boris
07-17-2004, 02:49 AM
Andrea Yates

WC64
07-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Bowling

M2d
07-22-2004, 02:01 AM
no speed buck dressing?

M2d
07-22-2004, 02:02 AM
boot everything currently in and replace them with the X games.

ArchAngel71857
07-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Should be: Water Skiing (slalom, Trick sucks). Football. Ultimate frisbee. Luke's Juicy Hot Box. Spelling Bee. Four Square. Dodgeball. Kickball. Red Rover. Flashlight tag.

Shouldn't be: Handball. Rythmnic Gymnastics. Spelling Bee. Hopscotch. Double Dutch.

-AA

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 01:54 PM
I'd kill for some highly competitive elite level Four-Square. I played a pretty mean game back in my day, but I can't even imagine a world class event.

Sloats
07-22-2004, 02:08 PM
There is just something wrong about watching a 13 year old girl throwing a ball 20 feet in the air and catching it with her pelvis spinning around with her butt in the air and then doing a perfect T handstand. Gynmastics only for those 18 and older.

Rugby yes.

Anything that is 'dancing' out.

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 02:11 PM
would cherry bombs be allowed? what about "tea party" and reverses? I love four square man!!! I actually played like a year ago for the first time in probably 12 years, and it was still hella fun.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 02:14 PM
These are things that have to be worked out with the Competition Committee. As for other childhood favorites, I played in an adult kickball league this year and it was a good time. By adult kickball league, I really mean Beer League and occasional kicking/catching/pegging people with red rubber balls - don't trip over the beerwagon in right/center field and you better not drop your beer running the bases. I'd like to get into some dodgeball. Now that's a good game. Have you seen Extreme Dodgeball on GSN? It's a good time. Dodgeball/Battleball always was my favorite growing up. There's just something about pegging people with a rubber ball.

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 02:43 PM
what is GSN, and when did people stop calling dodgeball "soak 'em"? We use to play that all the time.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 02:53 PM
GSN = Game Show Network. I've never heard anyone call Dodgeball "soak 'em", so I guess people stopped calling it that before they started.

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 02:57 PM
ah I don't get game show network... "soak em" most be a NW term, because I know a lot of people who call it that up here.

kerssens
07-22-2004, 03:08 PM
soak 'em, what a game.....elementary and middle school P.E........we also played a game where you fill a 2-liter bottle half full of sand and place them in various spots around the gym, each person has to guard theirs and knock the others down, go home with bruised shins every time

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
soak 'em, what a game.....elementary and middle school P.E........we also played a game where you fill a 2-liter bottle half full of sand and place them in various spots around the gym, each person has to guard theirs and knock the others down, go home with bruised shins every time

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what we called Battleball. It's a great variant.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Dodgeball.

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 04:03 PM
yup, I remember some pick up games we would play with tennis balls and nerf footballs.

How about Pickle? with tennis balls too, so that you can peg the runner!

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 04:53 PM
My favorite pegging-based game was what my friends and I called ghettoball. It pretty much finished off any tennis match we played. We'd go play tennis and it'd always devolve into ghettoball. I'm sure you can guess the rules by now, but for those who are a bit slow out there, the rules are you peg the other guy with the tennis balls. The only other rule is that you have to stay on your side of the net. Doubles is fun sometimes too. Game ends when someone gets hit in the nuts (about 40% of the time) or square in the eye/nose (the other 60%). It's great for developing a powerful shot and long-distance accuracy.

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 05:20 PM
nice! you ever play frisbee tennis? Me and a friend of mine created it one day after a night of drinking. It seemed like fun while we were hung over.

CORed
07-22-2004, 05:45 PM
There may not be outrigger canoe paddling in the Olympics, but there are lots of rowing and paddling events.