PDA

View Full Version : Free Card Play or LAG Attack?

DeathDonkey
07-16-2004, 03:05 PM
3/6 live with a kill. I'm destroying this game on the biggest rush of my B&M life (2 months!) (first hand at the table I get AA in MP in a Kill pot! I win another monster two hands later and have almost tripled up my $100 buy in in 5 minutes)... anyway, this hand comes up shortly afterwards:

Two UTG limps and I limp in EP/MP with A3s, two more limpers plus the blinds and we are 7 handed for the flop:

Flop is Q73 one of my suit, UTG+1 bets and I raise...

-DeathDonkey

Alobar
07-16-2004, 03:17 PM
I like the raise if you think it will force everyone out behind you and some of the other players as well. If it wont, then I don't like it. I generally like the bottom pair overcard kicker and backdoor draw raise when there arnt many in the pot or I know I will be last to act on the turn.

SpaceAce
07-16-2004, 03:22 PM
What exactly are you trying to get a free card for? You have no draw, yet. Also, how do you expect to get a free card from early position when you are almost guaranteed to have at least a couple of callers behind you? There are seven people in the pot and you have flopped bottom pair with a broadway card on the board. If you really want to continue with this hand, I think you want to do it cheaply and getting as much:1 on your money as you can.

SpaceAce

Danenania
07-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Well he's got an easy call odds-wise on the flop, right? I agree that raising probably won't accomplish much. This would have been a good flop to checkraise if the flop betting had played out differently, but I think the best thing here is to call.

DeathDonkey
07-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi SpaceAce,

Sounds like you are voting LAG attack, and I have to agree in this case in retrospect. At the time I was feeling great and was so confident my ace or backdoor draw was coming, that I unnecessarily put too much money in the pot with a weak hand.

On the plus side, I managed to keep this overconfidence in check and when the cards stopped running my way I didn't give back all the profit (which I have done in the past)...3 hours later I left up $265

Thanks for the comment,
DeathDonkey

Alobar
07-16-2004, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. At the time I was feeling great and was so confident my ace or backdoor draw was coming,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to advance in your poker career you can't ever think like that

GuyOnTilt
07-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Hey DeathDonkey,

You should be buying in for much more than one rack in a 3/6 kill game.

GoT

DeathDonkey
07-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi Alobar,

While I agree with you in principle, at this point I was (as Lee Jones says) "Table Captain" and I had turned over monsters for the past half hour. The confidence I was portraying was pretty much the exact opposite of my opponents, and I wanted to continue to exert some control over the table.

Luckily for me, getting hit over the head with the deck has been a rare occurrence so I won't put myself in these "compromising" situations to frequently /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-DeathDonkey

DeathDonkey
07-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi GoT,

I used to buy in for $150 but it's more difficult for the chip runner, so I have just been buying a rack when I first sit down now. I had another $150 in my pocket and have no problem rebuying if/when I get below $50 or so.

In fact, last week I bought a rack, lost some pots, bought another rack (only had 200 for some stupid reason that day) and was down to about 30 bucks after not winning a single hand in the 2 hours I was there (not one!). I was planning to leave when the blinds came around, deciding it wasn't my night and I didn't have a sufficient stack to play at this table and I didn't want to throw away the last 30 in a short stack situation, when I finally won a hand. 6 hours later I cashed out up a modest $70.

I hope that chip-buying strategy is sufficient, as it seems to be alot easier for everyone. Your right though, I have seem some huge swings at these 3/6 kill games. Last week I watched a LAG go up $500 after getting AA 3 times in an hour and winning large pots each time. He later dropped at least $600 in about 2 hours (some to me, thankfully)!

Thanks for the advice and let me know if I need to rethink the initial buyin.

-DeathDonkey

GuyOnTilt
07-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Hey DeathDonkey,

The problem with buying in for only 1 rack in that game is that during a kill pot, you only have 8.3 big bets in front of you, and that's assuming you haven't posted any blinds or entered a pot and folded yet. That means you'll sometimes end up going all-in, which as a winning player isn't good. Bets not won are bets lost. Even without the kill, $100 only gives you 16.7 bets, which means you'll have to reload if you lose the first pot you play, so you're better off just buying in 2 racks when you first sit.

GoT

Alobar
07-16-2004, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Alobar,

While I agree with you in principle, at this point I was (as Lee Jones says) "Table Captain" and I had turned over monsters for the past half hour. The confidence I was portraying was pretty much the exact opposite of my opponents, and I wanted to continue to exert some control over the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

A strong image is good. A strong image cuz you "know" your draw is going to hit is bad. Sounds like you know the difference, I was just making sure. Didn't want you to be one of the fishys that caps the flop and turn HU because he has the flush draw...."please god let a heart come!!!" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alobar
07-16-2004, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey DeathDonkey,

The problem with buying in for only 1 rack in that game is that during a kill pot, you only have 8.3 big bets in front of you, and that's assuming you haven't posted any blinds or entered a pot and folded yet. That means you'll sometimes end up going all-in, which as a winning player isn't good. Bets not won are bets lost. Even without the kill, $100 only gives you 16.7 bets, which means you'll have to reload if you lose the first pot you play, so you're better off just buying in 2 racks when you first sit.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything he just said, and the fact you look like a pimp buying in for $200 when the guy who just sat down next to you buys in for $40 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DeathDonkey
07-17-2004, 03:08 AM
Alright Alobar and GoT, you guys have convinced me on the buy in stuff. And I know exactly what you mean about the $40 buy ins, except the minimum is $30, and that is routine...last night this old asian lady must have reloaded about 12-15 times at $30 a pop. At our "action" table (thanks to me and my roommate and everyone else on mega-gotta-beat-the-cocky-college-kids tilt!) she was all in almost any hand she played.

On another similar note, in the two months since I've started live play, I've never had a hand go more than 3 bets on the turn and river, mostly because these guys won't go 4 bets without the absolute nuts. But I'm really looking forward to getting in a situation where 8.3 big bets in a kill pot isn't enough for the hand; I just hope I'm on the winning end!

Thanks guys,
DeathDonkey