PDA

View Full Version : LAGdom Quest

naphand
07-16-2004, 02:11 PM
In my continuing quest to purge any remnants of weak-tight play, I have found myself wandering the road of LAGdom.

Do I qualify as LAG with this hand?

No bisonbison converter for Poker Room, so it's gotta be done by hand... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TABLE NOTES: Poker Room has some terrible players, if you get a table-full expect thumping BB/100. Today, the tables look tighter than usual, and some of the players a decidedly tricky. So far, I have been CR on the Turn by KTo with JJ and board xQ99, called down; and CR on the River by As8s with a board Ks4s7hTd4d, I win with JTo.

POKER ROOM Texas Hold'em $1-$2

naphand is BB with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

PRE-FLOP:
UTG folds, MP calls, CO raises, Button folds, naphand calls, MP calls.

FLOP (6.5 SB): 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif
naphand checks, MP checks, CO bets, naphand raises, MP folds, CO calls.

TURN (5 BB): 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif
naphand bets, CO calls.

RIVER (7 BB): 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
naphand checks, CO checks.

Results in white below:
<font color="white">naphand shows Kh 2h
CO shows Ks Qs

naphand collects 7BB</font>

PF call is seriously marginal, but I am getting 5:1 here (MP will call). I know CO will bet this flop with overcards, I have a piece of it (yea bottom pair and backdoor 2nd-nut flush). If MP bets I will fold, CO is going to bet so I intend to CR to kick out MP and see where I am. He will do something nasty if he has a hand, but this is a scrappy flop. Plan works, Turn is probably nothing, and I bet hoping for a fold (obviously fold to a CR). Check/call the River?

PokerStove says I am around 25% EV PF, so perhaps the call is justified. On the flop I reach the dizzy heights of 33% EV with my bottom-pair plus weak draw. However, although I figured I should push out MP, PokerStove indicates I only improve to 35% by knocking out MP, and most of the benefift goes to CO, going on reasonable raising standards.

Was my read enough to justify this play? Discussion appreciated.

spydog
07-16-2004, 02:21 PM
I like this play, especially the CR on the flop when you know you are against a non-tight PF raiser, who will raise any 2 broadway cards. Many times you will win with your turn bet. Not this time because he picked up the OESD. I know some people will argue your aggressiveness, but against 3 opponents and no one between the raiser and you, a ragged board, no draws, I think its worth a shot.

Zele
07-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Not crazy about the p/f call (as you said), but other than that I think you played it great. You got HU, which is of course essential, got the value on the turn, and made the correct check on the river (too bad he didn't take a shot with his nothing.)

Of course, if he raises back at you on the turn you should (usually) dump it.

Tuneman
07-16-2004, 04:58 PM
I think the PF call is fine, even though it was a tight or semi-tight table. 2 questions, the reraise on the flop, you were trying to push him out if he had pair of jacks, you guys wouldn't consider that a little loose? And then what do you think of CO's call on the turn, I think it was a bad idea for him.

naphand
07-16-2004, 05:30 PM
I am not sure it was even semi-tight. It was tighter than normal, and certainly the players were tougher and trickier than any I have seen before on the site. When fishy-tricky to my right sat out and tight-weak opposite was down to $3, I left. The other two were the player in this hand and a particularly good player who I had seen demolish another table (while I was waiting to join).

Who had JJ? MP did not, and the raise was to get HU with CO. I knew CO was likely staying beyond the flop. He could have a lot of hands besides JJ. Is there a player on the planet who can be pushed off JJ here? It is the nuts, unless I happen to have pocket 223.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CO called the Turn with 2 overcards and the nut OESD, correctly at 7:1 from the pot.

lefty rosen
07-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Nothing wrong with being percieved as a lag on a short table I do this all day, except I am loose raiser and tight caller of raises. I usually don't touch bogus cards like that all day even if I get the pot odds, but your play was fine post flop.

Michael Davis
07-16-2004, 07:37 PM
This was a well played hand but you have to bet this river.

-Michael

stripsqueez
07-16-2004, 08:05 PM
sheesh - this hand isnt even close to lagdom

i think the pre-flop is normal - i think the flop is seriously normal

i like betting the river - i want to charge AK full price

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

naphand
07-17-2004, 04:47 AM
I don't think the River bet is good.

This player could be very tricky, and I absolutely hate a CR on the River; he is capable of this esp. with the board pairing like that. I have yet to see anyone call the River with only A high, except me with AK -vs- QQ, so I doubt very much he calls. My check is far more likely to induce a bet than to a call to my River bet (where I am good). I definitely want to show this player my bottom pair.

Against tricky players I often raise the flop, and check behind the Turn with position or check the River out of position. You will get plenty of bluffs on the River, and avoid nasty CR/raises from the over-trickynesses with overpairs or trips. Obviosuly, it is necessary mix it up against thinking players when you abuse them like this.