PDA

View Full Version : 94s bb hand 15-30

03-08-2002, 04:43 PM
this one is for dynasty who thinks i only get KK all the time.

i have 94d in the big blind and 5 people limp and the sb limps and i check. the flop is Ad6d4c. sb checks, i bet, utg (bad player) calls, next guy calls, next guy (decent player) raises, sb calls 2 cold, i 3 bet, all call.

5 players in for the turn card which is Ts. sb checks, i bet, utg calls, next guy folds, good player calls, sb calls.

the river is the 4h. sb checks, i bet, all 3 of them call.

should i have went for the checkraise on the river since my hand is very well disguised? should i have not bet the turn? how bad/good is betting the turn? is it close? why not? what about the flop reraise? should i have checkraised the flop?

03-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Mike -

I did something I really don't like to do yesterday, I called three bets cold drawing dead.

(I can explain...I had 89h in the SB in a raised family pot, flop came J T 3, two hearts...we went off for a 5 way cap, turn was Ad, and I checked, it went bet, raise, reraise. The bettor was the preflop raiser who capped the flop and doesn't bet draws...he had a set or AJ or an overpair. The raiser hated the Ad...I put him on JT, which he had, and the 3-bettor was so passive, he had to have a straight. As such, I couldn't put anybody on hearts...but alas, KQ was actually KQh. Sonofabitch. So yeah, I was drawing dead, but I didn't call the river when a Q came).

my point is be careful in large multiway pots with non-nut flush draws. You have one other aggressor in this hand, and there could easily be a JTd out there, or some such hand.

As such, I'd likely just call the raise on the flop. But if I had gone and three-bet it, I'd bet the turn every time.

Now, on the river, should you checkraise or not? It depends...have you been playing scared (i.e. when you have AK on a flop of A 6 4, are you checking the river routinely when a 4 hits?). If not, it sure looks like you could be setting up a checkraise. Secondly, it seems that there is a lot of just 'call'ing in your game, so it must be somewhat passive, so there is a good chance it will get checked around.

It is starting to amaze me how rarely I checkraise the river. In my last 4 or 5 sessions, I've tried twice, and was successful only once. The other time, I had the nut flush against an aggressive player, and I went for a checkraise, and he didn't bet, but he would have called.

I hate missing bets on the river, and if you go for the checkraise, it is highly unlikely that you will amass more than the 3 river bets that you collected. Bet your hand everytime.

In a side note....I ran into HortenceL last night. He asked me "excuse me, is your name Josh?". I politely replied "Is your name Mike?". He said "no". So, I said "well, then, my name's not Josh". He said you were playing 15-30...high rolling snob.

I was going to try to swing by and say hi, but I was there with a friend who had busted out, and he wanted to get outta there a.s.a.p, so I bailed. Maybe next time....

Josh

03-08-2002, 05:40 PM
I can't believe you remembered the Ad on the turn. Fucking amazing.

03-08-2002, 06:25 PM
"In a side note....I ran into HortenceL last night. He asked me "excuse me, is your name Josh?". I politely replied "Is your name Mike?". He said "no". So, I said "well, then, my name's not Josh". He said you were playing 15-30...high rolling snob."

yeah he told me. haha. ill catch you next time im over there. should be sometime very soon.

as for the 15, you were right about the game being pretty passive. it was a very good game.

03-08-2002, 06:57 PM
my thinking may be off on this one but I like the flop re-raise because I think it will tie most of them to the pot to the river. therefore if your hand improves you'll be able to milk them for quite a few bets. you want a large field here and 3 bets on the flop will almost gurantee it. this way you take control of the hand and get well paid if your draw hits, check-fold if it doesn't.

03-08-2002, 09:02 PM
I was going to post a question about checkraising the river. I've tried it more times than I'd care to admit lately when I was certain someone had a second-best hand (looks like my hand reading skills could use some improvement). It's succeeded very few times, so next time I'm contemplating it I'll remember your post.