PDA

View Full Version : talking shiitake

03-08-2002, 03:02 PM
It's 7:00 AM and the game went around the clock and it's crazy. "Joe" is one of these guys who is everyone's arch enemy. I get along with him fine, but it took a while. He plays very hard, always, huge swings, and maybe he says some of the wrong things after hands and that's why some guys don't like him. I like him fine. I think he's got a good heart and that's the main thing. He's never mean to dealers.

I've started talking jive with a few guys these last couple weeks. Just a little. I'm very good at it. It's just that I stopped completely a few years back because I think it's best not to in the big picture.

This hand comes up where Joe opens with a raise and I reraise with AJ and everyone is out and he makes it four bets. I just call, and he bets the flop in the dark. Damn! That's my move!

So I called in the dark. Call it pride. Call it a good play. Call it incorrect. How can we know until a 2+2 book on dark-betting comes out?

The flop comes jack-high rags: J-x-x, and I'm committed to a showdown for sure with top pair, just a matter of if I ever put in a raise. Joe bets the turn in the dark, and I call in the dark. I really like this play because I don't think Joe will fire on the river without at least a pair. I like retaining my option, to bet after he checks, shoot-em-in-the-nest style, or raising him, and I really like not letting him reraise me on the turn, which he might do in spite, or momentum, or with an overpair, or, well, guys like Joe don't need a reason. My goal with Joe is to not lose three bets, turn and river combined, unless he sucks out. That's the beginning and end of my game plan with all crazed players, come to think of it.

The turn card comes a blank. Right now the dealer is slow and cautious so as to not screw anything up. During the pause, I heckle. "What? No dark bet on the river?"

Joe shakes his head a little. "Let's see what it is."

Here's the sorta unbelievable part. Maybe it was the Heineken. I said, "C'mon, bet! You pussy!"

The dealer scowled at me a little, appropriately so.

Joe bet the river, dark, and hard, sliding his six chips into a destacked line. At the moment his bet stopped moving, the small river card was dealt, and I said, "RAISE!!" It all happen so fast. Joe stopped and shook his head and I busted out laughing and so did he. He reluctantly called and I showed and he mucked. I think he was drawing nearly dead. I think he had AK or AQ for a three-outter, or a pocket pair for a two outter. More likely the AK or AQ since I think heda bet the river in the dark without encouragement with a pocket pair having met no resistance.

Joe said, "You got me for one bet and I'm really pissed." (He wasn't really pissed, he was just saying that.) Then he added, "I was going to check-call the river, and then you used the P word on me. That got me. You really got me good. BUT! At least I'm not a pussy!"

Nothing to add to that. The last word goes to Joe, this time.

Tommy

03-08-2002, 03:14 PM
I think the only reason you would talk shiitake is because you're a fun guy.

03-08-2002, 05:29 PM

03-08-2002, 06:24 PM