PDA

View Full Version : Let me gingerly scrape this off my shoe

bernie
07-16-2004, 10:13 AM
mucks 10-20. great game.

2 or 3 weak limpers to sb who raises. No fear of a reraise behind me and I get the feeling if i hit my hand it will be good, so i call with AQo in the BB. Everyone calls.

Flop Q Q 4 r

SB bets, i raise, folded to sb who asks if i have a Q. I say, 'oh, probably.' He calls.

Turn 9

Check, i bet, he raises. hmmm. He could have a couple different hands here. He may also not believe i have a Q. He is capable of trying a move here. I call.

River 5

sb bets, i raise. He snaps upright and looks me over. Looks at the board. Looks back to me. It's been awhile, so I grin. (May as well do something while i wait)

"You played Q5!?!" he asks as he calls.

As i roll my hand i mention, "no, but i cant beat PKT 9s either. Nice catch, man."

He shows 99.

I chuckle at my own stupidity. His look when i raised was priceless though.

b

07-16-2004, 01:16 PM
I think I would lose more on this hand since I would reraise the turn.

`dude

Nightwish
07-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Why did you raise the flop? Is the SB cautious enough not to bet out on the turn (assuming the turn is not a 9)?

bernie
07-16-2004, 06:18 PM
I knew he'd bet out on the river. So i had planned on raising unless a K hit the board. Just in case he'd fold an overpair to my 3 bet on the turn.

When i was grinning after my river raise, i was thinking we'd probably split the pot. What other hand with this board could i put him on that he'd really play that way? When he mentioned Q5, i knew exactly what he had. From grin to grimace. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The fun part was watching his wheels turn trying to figure out what i had. It still sucked to lose though.

b

bernie
07-16-2004, 06:24 PM
I raised because i wanted to put some doubt that i had a Q. Most on this table would wait to the turn to raise this. Normally, i'd have gotten another caller there. This game was good.

The sb, if he doesn't put me on a Q, could c/r the turn with a couple different hands. Essentially, testing me. My turn call doesn't exactly indicate that i have a Q either. He could easily, given the yapping on the flop, thought i was on an overcard bluff. That may be stretching it a bit though.

b

bobbyi
07-16-2004, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was thinking we'd probably split the pot. What other hand with this board could i put him on that he'd really play that way? When he mentioned Q5, i knew exactly what he had.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why did his Q5 comment contradict your read that he had AQ? Wouldn't AQ be just as unhappy for you to suck out on the river (given that this player interprets this raise as meaning Q5)?

bernie
07-16-2004, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did his Q5 comment contradict your read that he had AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

This player was stating this honestly as to what he thought i might have. I've found many times when this happens, they tend to pick very close to what they have. Basically he's saying only a 'bigger' FH beats him. Notice he isn't commenting on trips anymore. He's saying he had trips beat but now loses to a FH.

The only logical hand i could put him on that he would have a FH on this board is the turned 9. He wouldn't have raised his sb with 44 or 55. Given the action up to this point, he could have an overpair, 99 or AQ. Maybe KQ, but that's a reach. Just before his comment, and how much he was thinking, and his prior comments, i was thinking AQ, but hoping for KQ.

I've also found myself doing this at times when thinking what hand i just got rivered on or whatever. This also usually happens when you lose the lead. You generally start with a hand that is usually either obvious, board depending, or close to the one you hold only up a ranking or 2. On here, there was no str8s/flushes possible. Only trips/FH and Quads. He wasn't putting me on quads, and didn't mention trips again. He's thinking FH. And a crap FH at that.

b