PDA

View Full Version : Big Slick - turn check, call river-raise?

Rocco
07-16-2004, 09:27 AM
No reads on opponents other than BB, who seems to play too many hands. How many of you calls the river-raise? Should I lay down after the flop-raise? Still wondering what BB had...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (7 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>

lil'
07-16-2004, 12:26 PM
You should bet the turn with top pair-top kicker. I think the ace scared the BB. You hit one of your outs, so bet it.

On the river, that sucks to be check-raised here because it's so unexpected. I can honestly say I would have a very hard time folding here, considering it looks like you may be betting the river on a possible steal after the turn got checked through.

MoreWineII
07-16-2004, 12:37 PM
I think I would have bet the turn. I can't fold to a river raise here although I suspect I'm beaten. It appears that SB was going for a c/r on the turn but it got checked through and just couldn't help himself on the river.

ipp147
07-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi Rocco,

I have to agree with lil.

The problem when you check through the turn is that you where you are when he raises the river. The BB raised the flop which means something has hit him I would assume at least top pair (perhaps a set of 3's or two pair even Q10).

If you bet the turn and get check-raised I could lay it down. When I get check-raised on the river like this I can't as I know he might not be crediting me with an A.

papawawa
07-16-2004, 12:39 PM
i'd fold the flop. You need at least 4 players to call BB's raise to profit from your 10 outs. Unless, of course, the BB is very loose-aggressive.

lil'
07-16-2004, 01:34 PM
You need at least 4 players to call BB's raise to profit from your 10 outs.
I think you are misunderstanding the concept of pot odds here. If he has 10 outs, he will get one of them a little more than 1 out of 5 times by the turn. As long as the pot is offering him at least 4:1 odds (assuming all 10 outs are good), he should call and expect to show a profit in the long run. In this case, he was getting 12:1 odds on the call after the flop check-raise, so it was a very easy call to make.