PDA

View Full Version : Cold calling with AJs

Rico Suave
07-16-2004, 09:14 AM
No great reads at the table yet, but I have stats on UTG+1 that indicated he raised too much preflop, but was more in line post flop.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Rico is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Rico calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, Rico calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Rico raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (13.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Rico calls.

Final Pot: 15.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.16 BB, between Rico and BB.</font>

I know preflop discussions are pretty dull, and I usually am very comfortable with my decisions, but here, I was torn between 3-betting and cold calling. I would have 3 bet with AQs, but for some reason, could not pull the trigger with AJs, so I cold called. (which I think is better than folding). How bad a mistake is this, if at all?

Of course, post flop play is open to debate as well.

--Rico

StellarWind
07-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Based on two coldcallers and your assertion that UTG+1 raises too much, I consider playing to be barely acceptable.

If you want to play then calling is the way to go. Unless UTG+1 is a maniac you cannot want to take him on directly with AJs. Even if he is overaggressive he is still a favorite to have the better hand. There are too many people in this pot to go the bully route anyway. You already have the button. Minimize your expenses by calling, hope for a nice flop, and be prepared to bail if things don't work out.

Postflop is OK. Hope you didn't get screwed on the end.

Rico Suave
07-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Stellarwind:

[ QUOTE ]
Based on two coldcallers and your assertion that UTG+1 raises too much, I consider playing to be barely acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

barely acceptable....perhaps I overvalued my hand here, as I thought folding was significantly worse than calling or 3-betting.

--Rico

MAxx
07-16-2004, 01:13 PM
b/c of the 2 cold calls, and i would hope that one of the 2 blinds would come along and my position... I would call from button. IMO, this is a decent mutlity way hand w 4 or 5 players. You said you thought utg raising standards were low, and perhaps the coldcallers thought so as well... but they did not think their own hand was strong enought to 3 bet. I like the cold call here, but I do not see the value in 3-betting. I like the way you played the hand... but it seems like the BB has you on the Riva. Since the pot is so big, you have to call one more bb and pay the man off.