PDA

View Full Version : Curling. The dudes with the brooms.

Drunk Bob
07-16-2004, 06:39 AM
I was just just struck by a thought,

They are melting the ice to make the rock go to the opposite side that they are sweeping.

Now if I can figure out hockey.

drewjustdrew
07-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Is this a poker corollary, Drunk Bob?

Are you saying that you have to take action against Rocks to take them out of their game/comfort zone?

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 10:11 AM
They are melting the ice to make the rock go to the opposite side that they are sweeping.

You're goot.

Close. Sheets (the curling word for "rink") are pebbled and rough, so the spinning rock catches the rough surface (friction) and curves in the direction of the spin. When they sweep, they are trying to melt the ice to reduce the friction i.e. the rock will not turn as much and will go farther.

Good call though.

Hockey is far and away the best sport ever.

Ever.

Lacrosse second, and football and baseball a close third.

Basketball is a joke. There's nothing particularly athletic about the game - i.e. a total newbie can play in a pickup game of 21 or HORSE and he won't look out of place if he's given a two minute lesson.

Let's see you put on a pair of skates. Or hit a 90 mph fastball.

Nottom
07-16-2004, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basketball is a joke. There's nothing particularly athletic about the game - i.e. a total newbie can play in a pickup game of 21 or HORSE and he won't look out of place if he's given a two minute lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm not a huge basketball fan, but this statement is absurd. HORSE hardly qualifies as Basketball and I don't know what games you play in where a total newbie doesn't get his ass handed to him.

TheGrifter
07-16-2004, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what games you play in where a total newbie doesn't get his ass handed to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Psssst...he's CANADIAN. He could be practicing for the olympic team and a total newbie wouldn't look out of place.

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm a total newbie, and my friends (who play a lot, and know I think the game is a joke) still call me when they need players...

...they definitely ain't callin' me for my company. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The fundamental mechanics of the game, i.e. passing, dribbling and shooting, can be taught in about 5 minutes (obviously, doing them well is another matter entirely).

In hockey, skating can not be taught in 5 minutes. It just can't. You can't even stand up, you have no semblance of being able to play the game. It takes hours and hours of practice just to stand up and move in the direction you want to go on a consistent basis. Let alone the years it takes to skate backwards!

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 12:14 PM
The European basketball champions this year were:

Maccabi Tel Aviv. My hometown team.

Alobar
07-16-2004, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the funniest statement I've read in a loooong time. Basketball is prolly one of, if not the most ahtletic sport there is. I can't believe you would even compre it athletically to a sport like baseball, where you can be old fat and slow and still play.

Saying you can teach the fundamentals in basketball in 5 minutes is also a retarded statement. You can teach the fundamentals of anysport in 5 minutes, that doesnt mean you are any good at it. I could teach a 3 year old in 10 minutes how to throw a football, so what?

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 02:52 PM
I could teach a 3 year old in 10 minutes how to throw a football, so what?

Realistically, despite physical differences necessary for playing 1 spot, as opposed to 5 spot on a basketball court, could Shaq not play point guard at any given time? Obviously his body type isn't the same, nor is his outside shot as solid as it needs to be, but does he lack any fundamental skills? How long would it take for him to learn the mechanics of a jump shot? A minute? If he doesn't already know?

On the other hand, put a quarterback in the linebacker's role. How long do you think it will take him to learn how to properly tackle backs bigger than he is, running full steam at him? A long time.

I always close my basketball argument with two words:

Manute Bol. Never played serious ball in his life, he's an instant NBAer.

Next.

fnurt
07-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Bob Hayes was a big star for the Cowboys in the 1970s. Some say he changed the game of football. But before the Cowboys drafted him, he was nothing but an Olympic track star.

Of course, he's not typical of the game of football, any more than Manute Bol is your typical NBA player.

If you want a sport with simple fundamentals, think about soccer. If you can kick a ball, you can play soccer. But if you want to say it's not a real sport, you're going to find a few billion people who disagree with you.

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 03:12 PM
...and the real sports are the ones with the simplest fundamentals that only the truly gifted and outperform the rest at.

Everything else, maybe, is just a cheap variant bastardization of the simplest sports: running (track), jumping, throwing, etc. (field events).

ScottTheFish
07-16-2004, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can kick a ball, you can play soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Would you also say if you can bounce a ball you're a basketball player? Or if you can swing a bat you're a baseball player? Or if you can drive a car to work you're ready for NASCAR?

It takes years to learn and practice all the skills to be a good soccer player, just like any other sport.

Any good basball coach could teach you the fundamentals of a good swing in about 15 minutes. Doesn't mean you can hit a 95MPH fastball.

Just about anyone could walk onto a tennis court and hit the ball over the net back and forth.

Blah blah, you get the idea.

ScottTheFish
07-16-2004, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Realistically, despite physical differences necessary for playing 1 spot, as opposed to 5 spot on a basketball court, could Shaq not play point guard at any given time? Obviously his body type isn't the same, nor is his outside shot as solid as it needs to be, but does he lack any fundamental skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

To play point guard at the NBA level? Of course he's missing fundamental skills. Yeah he can dribble and pass and shoot a jumper to some degree, but so can you or I.

I'd go up against Shaq in a free throw, dribbling or 3-point shooting contest for every penny I have, and win. And yet nobody is beating my door down and offering me millions to play in the NBA. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

That kind of irks me about the NBA too, I guess. So specialized. I can't think of any other sport where I could say I'm better than a professional player at even one tiny aspect of the game. Weird.

he other cool thing about soccer is your average pro millionaire soccer player is like 5'11", 180 lbs, unlike the human freak shows that poulate the NBA and NFL

fnurt
07-16-2004, 03:34 PM
You totally missed my point. I never said being able to kick a ball would make you a world-class soccer player, or anything of the sort.

If you can hit the ball over the net, yes you can play tennis. The point is, just because a game has simple fundamentals doesn't make it any more challenging to play at a professional level, or make it any less of a sport.

Alobar
07-16-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That kind of irks me about the NBA too, I guess. So specialized. I can't think of any other sport where I could say I'm better than a professional player at even one tiny aspect of the game. Weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could throw a football better than some fat lineman. I could run the bases faster than barry bonds.

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 03:37 PM
he other cool thing about soccer is your average pro millionaire soccer player is like 5'11", 180 lbs, unlike the human freak shows that poulate the NBA and NFL

That's my main beef. That with a target so high above ground, a total genetic mutation has an inherent advantage over the general population. You can count the number of 6' or less players on one hand.

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Please please put on a pair of skates. Once.

You'll see how insanely good some of those guys are.

Alobar
07-16-2004, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Realistically, despite physical differences necessary for playing 1 spot, as opposed to 5 spot on a basketball court, could Shaq not play point guard at any given time?

[/ QUOTE ]

you are kidding right??? shaq would have less of a chance of playing point guard in the NBA than you or I.

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously his body type isn't the same, nor is his outside shot as solid as it needs to be, but does he lack any fundamental skills? How long would it take for him to learn the mechanics of a jump shot? A minute? If he doesn't already know?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right??? If this were true and these "fundamentals" were so easy to learn, shaq wouldnt suck at free throws as bad as he does. And EVERYONE would be in the NBA, not less than like .0002% of the people that sweat bleed and cry everyday trying to get into the NBA.

fnurt
07-16-2004, 03:40 PM
What do you think the average height of an NFL player is? You can tell all the Doug Flutie stories you want, but size is always going to be a huge advantage.

Alobar
07-16-2004, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go do a 360 reverse dunk over top of a 7 foot center just once, please. Then you'll see how incredibly athletic basketball players are.

If all it takes is skating skill to get into the NHL, then your fairy figure skaters would be playing for the rangers. They could outskate everyone in the NHL.

fnurt
07-16-2004, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, you can stop waving your big Canadian dick around. I do know how to ice skate. I agree that it's hard.

If your point is that hockey is the best sport, so be it. Hockey is my favorite sport, so I'm not going to argue.

If your point is that basketball is a trivial sport, because anyone can bounce a ball, I think that's silly, and you could make a similarly silly argument about all kinds of challenging sporting activities.

daryn
07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
didn't manute bol play hockey too? haha.

anyway, gamblor i think you hold skating high above where it should be held. it's not hard if you learn when you're young. put me on skates today and i can't even move, but there are 3 year olds out there who can skate perfectly, even backwards.

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 04:11 PM
put me on skates today and i can't even move, but there are 3 year olds out there who can skate perfectly, even backwards.

Of course. I started skating as soon as I could walk (age 2ish) but I'm still no NHLer.

Anything is easy if you've been doing it long enough, but anybody (and i'm a perfect example) can fire a ball in the general vicinity of a basket ball hoop after a couple tries. Either way, being only 5'11" is enough of a reason for me to hate basketball...

Speaking of my basketball skills:

What's better than gold medal at the special olympics?

not being retarded.

ScottTheFish
07-16-2004, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could throw a football better than some fat lineman. I could run the bases faster than barry bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not really the same thing as me being able to shoot a free throw or dribble better than Shaq, because a lineman doesn't throw the ball during play, but Shaq does dribble and shoot free throws. (Maybe a lineman might throw a pass on some freak play, but you know what I mean.)

If you could tackle better than an NFL linbacker or read defenses as well as an NFL QB, that would be more similar.

I should have said any "valuable" skill. Passing is not a valuable skill for a lineman. But free throw shooting is crucial for a NBA center. Think how unstoppable Shaq would be if he could hit 70% of his free throws. He would average 40 points a game.
Running fast is not really a "skill" specific to a sport, but I'll give ya that one :b

Alobar
07-16-2004, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What's better than gold medal at the special olympics?

not being retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

hah, way to deflect the fact you are WRONG with a well timed special ed joke!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif (I spit water all over my monitor when I read that /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Okay, you can stop waving your big Canadian dick around.

What, I'm embarrassing you? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cry Me A River
07-16-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's my main beef. That with a target so high above ground, a total genetic mutation has an inherent advantage over the general population. You can count the number of 6' or less players on one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

And tell me why every article ever written (at least until he fell of the wagon) about Theo Fleury metions his size when he's about average height for a North American male?

For every Manute Bol there's two Stu Grimsons and Rob Rays...

Gamblor
07-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Oh come on. The number of Theo Fleurys in the NHL dwarfs the number of Muggsy Bogues in the NBA. That Bogues is the only short guy I can think of is testament to the total lack of small men.

That Fleury is 5'6" is a relatively minor disadvantage, while I doubt Muggsy Bogues ever had a multiple rebound game.

Stu Grimson fought 5'8" Tie Domi often enough that you should know better. I'm not saying bigger guys are not desirable, but Martin St. Louis led the league in scoring. Think about how many times a guy like Bogues, with his skills, would have led the league if he was 6'6".

Cry Me A River
07-17-2004, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh come on. The number of Theo Fleurys in the NHL dwarfs the number of Muggsy Bogues in the NBA. That Bogues is the only short guy I can think of is testament to the total lack of small men.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oviously size is significant, just as it is with jockeys or hockey players. However, there are also players of average height.... 10 shortest players in the NBA (2002-03)

Brevin Knight 5'10"
Damon Stoudamire 5'10"
Chucky Atkins 5'11"
Terrell Brandon 5'11"
Travis Best 5'11"
Speedy Claxton 5'11"
Avery Johnson 5'11"
Dean Oliver 5'11"
Dan Dickau 6'0"
Allen Iverson 6'0"

And I don't see Manute Bol in the Hall of Fame anytime soon...

[ QUOTE ]

That Fleury is 5'6" is a relatively minor disadvantage,

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to all the GM's who are loathe to draft small players.

[ QUOTE ]

while I doubt Muggsy Bogues ever had a multiple rebound game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no basketball expert, but I would imagine that's like criticising Patrick Roy for never posting a hat-trick. Nonetheless, Bogues' career high is 10 at Detroit 3/25/94.

[ QUOTE ]

Stu Grimson fought 5'8" Tie Domi often enough that you should know better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point was that basketball is so simple that by just winning the genetic lottery and being tall, like Manute Bol, you don't actually have to know how to play.

My point with Grimson and Ray is that hockey has just as many players who can't actually play the game and are there solely because they're big (okay, big and mean).

And anyway, as far as "genetic lottery" goes, Domi actually helps my argument - A freak born with a cement cinderblock instead of a head has as much advantage in hockey as a giant does in basketball /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying bigger guys are not desirable, but Martin St. Louis led the league in scoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you've just made my point for me. St. Louis is 5'9" which is exactly average for North America (5 feet, 9 inches with about 68% of men between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 11 inches. - USA Today) but you're using him as an example of a small NHL'er.

[ QUOTE ]

Think about how many times a guy like Bogues, with his skills, would have led the league if he was 6'6".

[/ QUOTE ]

So? What if Iverson was a 7 footer? What if Fleury was 6'2"? If wishes were fishes we'd be playing at Party right now..

St Louis and Fleury are both taller than Bogues, btw. Who was the last 5'3" NHLer?

There aren't any small guys in the NBA or NHL. There aren't an awful lot in the NFL for that matter either. That doesn't in and of itself make either sport crap.

Homer
07-17-2004, 05:56 PM
It makes no sense to me that the two biggest sports in Canada are hockey and curling. One involves guys smashing each other into plexiglass and taking slapshots in the face and the other involves sweeping ice. Imagine if the two biggest sports in the US were football and checkers. Wouldn't that be pretty [censored] up?

daryn
07-17-2004, 07:25 PM
now i'm no proponent of basketball, but there's much more to the game than shooting the ball into the hoop. that sounds dumb at first, but it's true.

Cry Me A River
07-18-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It makes no sense to me that the two biggest sports in Canada are hockey and curling.

[/ QUOTE ]

The commonality you are missing is ice.

[ QUOTE ]

One involves guys smashing each other into plexiglass and taking slapshots in the face and the other involves sweeping ice. Imagine if the two biggest sports in the US were football and checkers. Wouldn't that be pretty [censored] up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible analogy, curling is most similar to darts, pool, bowling, golf... Compare and contrast America's top two pro sports: football and baseball and you see a very similar dichotomy as between hockey and curling.

Homer
07-18-2004, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It makes no sense to me that the two biggest sports in Canada are hockey and curling.

[/ QUOTE ]

The commonality you are missing is ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm aware they're both played on ice. My point was that the physical nature of the two sports are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One involves guys smashing each other into plexiglass and taking slapshots in the face and the other involves sweeping ice. Imagine if the two biggest sports in the US were football and checkers. Wouldn't that be pretty [censored] up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible analogy, curling is most similar to darts, pool, bowling, golf... Compare and contrast America's top two pro sports: football and baseball and you see a very similar dichotomy as between hockey and curling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it wasn't terrible. I'm allowed to make imperfect comparisons when making a joke.

I get your point, but I don't think baseball is as different from football as hockey is from curling. But, I've never played curling.

-- Homer

Usul
07-18-2004, 07:39 PM
I guess I can see how you might think that curling is the second most popular sport in Canada, but it's not. Not even close. It's certainly popular. Definately more popular than most other countries. But it's not the second most popular. I'd bet my bankroll that more Canadians watch the super bowl than any draw at the briar (the biggest annual curling bonspiel*)

*Bonspiel is curling speak for "tournament"

Usul
07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. Basketball is for sissies.

Alobar
07-18-2004, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think anyone who can use "bonspiel" in a sentence, can make sissy accusations without breaking the glass in their own house with that stone throw.

Homer
07-18-2004, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I don't play basketball, but if I did, I could take a Karl Malone elbow in the face without wincing like these so-called professionals do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am very surprised to hear that curling is not the second most popular sport in Canada. You do put mayo on your burgers there, right?

Usul
07-18-2004, 09:54 PM
I think you just called me a sissy.

Usul
07-18-2004, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You do put mayo on your burgers there, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fat ones do. Why, what do you put on your burgers? Ketchup?

Alobar
07-18-2004, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you just called me a sissy.

[/ QUOTE ]

you Canadians catch on quick /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Usul
07-19-2004, 08:50 AM
You Arazonians are big, fat, jerks! Except for Todd Heap, Adam Archeleta and Terrel Suggs. They coo'.

LondonBroil
07-20-2004, 01:36 AM
I can't believe I just wasted 4 minutes of my life reading this thread.

Ice Man
07-20-2004, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe I just wasted 4 minutes of my life reading this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies, Ladies ... let's talk beach vollyball.