PDA

View Full Version : Tequila

Diplomat
07-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Another poster asked me tonight how to mask the taste of tequila in a drink, ie. what to mix it with to make it taste better. Personally I like the taste of tequila, but for those of you out there that don't like it, what do you mix it with to mask its taste?

-Diplomat

Nemesis
07-16-2004, 02:23 AM
more tequila... that's the only thing that makes it taste better. I recommend Jose Cuervo Tradicional... it's the SMOOTHEST finest tasting tequila there is.

mikeyvegas
07-16-2004, 03:17 AM
I've always found that vomiting after drinking tequila did a pretty good job at masking the flavor.

bugstud
07-16-2004, 03:31 AM
The best way to mask tequila is more tequila. Failing this, add more tequila. Vomiting is the final solution, if the need arises.

Cubswin
07-16-2004, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what do you mix it with to mask its taste?

[/ QUOTE ]

i always find that an attractive lady that allows you to lick the salt off her neck and take the lime out of her mouth masks the taste. belly button shots taken from these same ladies also has a similiar effect.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-16-2004, 08:32 AM
how to mask the taste of tequila

The same way that people who don't like gin mask its taste in a martini. You substitute vodka. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 08:37 AM
I recommend Jose Cuervo Tradicional

This is one of the worse Tequila's on the planet. Any Mexcain would tell you so.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Cuervo is to real tequila what Bud is to real beer - an insult.

Besides, despite the fact that I like really good, smooth tequila, I'll take the warrior's drink, Monte Alban Mezcal, ahead of Cuervo any day.

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Diplomat,

The problem is most likely the type of Tequila you are drinking.

All Tequila is made in Mexico and is certified by the Mexican Government. Each distillery in Mexico is assigned a number that shows which company made or bottled the Tequila. This is actually one thing the goverment does do very well. Similar to Congac there are several grades to Tequila that are related to the aging process. Mexicans take great pride in the Tequila making process. All Tequila is made from 100% blue agave catus.

Blanco - unaged and untreated.
Reposado - "rested" aged in Oak barrels 2 months to a year.
Anjeo - aged Tequila stored in Oak for at least a year.

Remember Gold = garbage. Tequila is mostly clear and if you have one that is not, there are additive. The Americans (Jose Cuervo imports) add sugar giving the Gold color. However, a well aged Anejo will pick up a tint from the Oak barrels, you can see the difference.

Tequila never has a worm in the bottle. If it does, you are drinking Mezcal. Mezcal is a by-product of the Tequila distilling process.

I highly suggest the following from top shelf down:
Silver Patron(Blanco) or Gold Patro (Anjeo) depending on what you are willing to spend.
Don Juilo Reposado or Anjeo
Tres Generation
Sauza Hornitas(Reposado) is the cheapest fine Tequila around.

Here is my Margarita recipe (10 servings):

Ingredients:
1 liter Sauza Hornitas
1/5 of a liter of Orange Liquor (Contreau or Grand Mariner) (or cheaper Triple Sec)
8 Limes
3 Lemons
3 Oranges
1 quart of premade sour mix

Add the Tequila and Triple Sec in a large container over ice
Squeeze the fruit juices into the container. Throw the peels for the fruit in the mix and stir.

Take out the fruit peels and add the sour mix, stir.

Serve on the rocks with or without a salted rim. (Frozen Margaritas are another American twist).

Enjoy,
Joe Tall

WDC
07-16-2004, 09:40 AM
ouzo and its not even close

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-16-2004, 09:41 AM
Herradura Silver

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Herradura Silver

Excellent choice for the price. I just drummed up a quick list of quality tquila that would be commonly found.

If only I could get over the boarder more; the best are the ones you can find here in the States.

My lifetime favorite:

Quinta Pentas Anejo

Peace,
Joe Tall

Philuva
07-16-2004, 10:05 AM
I really like the Sauza Conmemorativo and that is what I get in my local Mexican joint. Is the Hornitas worth the extra $1 in my margarita?

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 10:27 AM
I really like the Sauza Conmemorativo and that is what I get in my local Mexican joint. Is the Hornitas worth the extra $1 in my margarita?

Is the Conmemorativo the Gold label, gold color Sauza? How much Tequila do they put in their Margaritas? If it's not much, then no it's not worth it.

The problem with lower grade Tequila (and all alcohols) is the amount of impurities created in the distilling process. The higher amount of impurities the worse the taste and hangover the next day.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Rudy's in Teele Square in Somerville has agreat selection of tequilas.

Ray Zee
07-16-2004, 11:02 AM
good thread on that rockgut out of mexico. i will take it all in while having a shot of whiskey with a beer back.

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Philuva,

Additives like coloring, sugar and sometimes carmel flavoring have the same effects as impurites.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Philuva
07-16-2004, 11:39 AM
The Conmemorativo is not gold, it is clear and I find it quite tasty. My Mexican place makes their Margaritas with fresh lime juice and a lot of tequilla. Two of them will put the womp on you. Three and you are definitely down right drunk. It is $7 for the Conmemorativo and the Hornitas is $8. I shall give it a try the next time I am there.

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Then the Commemorativo is likely a Blanco. Which is fine for Margaritas and it sounds like they have a good mix. If you don't have to drive home, next time you are there, try a shot of Patron. You will not need a lime or salt either. In fact, that's considered a sin with Patron.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-16-2004, 12:09 PM
You will not need a lime or salt either. In fact, that's considered a sin with Patron.

I consider the salt & lime thing wimpy regardless of the tequila. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 12:11 PM
I consider the salt & lime thing wimpy regardless of the tequila

Oh yes, no 'training wheels'. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Peace,
Joe Tall

bugstud
07-16-2004, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I highly suggest the following from top shelf down:
Silver Patron(Blanco) or Gold Patro (Anjeo) depending on what you are willing to spend.
Don Juilo Reposado or Anjeo
Tres Generation
Sauza Hornitas(Reposado) is the cheapest fine Tequila around.

Enjoy,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the price ranges on these?

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Gold Patron $80+
Silver Patron $65+
Don Julio $45-$60
Tres G $35-45
Sauza $25

Peace,
Joe Tall

nolanfan34
07-16-2004, 01:24 PM
The knowledge of Joe Tall is endless.

Good thread, I will have to print out that recipe.

andyfox
07-16-2004, 01:31 PM

Ulysses
07-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Good choices, Joe, as is Kurn's Herradura selection.

Cazadores (http://www.cazadores.com/) and Chinaco (http://www.chinacotequila.com/) are two of my favorites not mentioned in your list.

Here's a good list of tequilas (and a restaurant for you to visit in SF, Joe) - Tommy's (http://www.tommystequila.com/tequila.html).

scotnt73
07-16-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gold Patron $80+
Silver Patron $65+
Don Julio $45-$60
Tres G $35-45
Sauza $25

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

i keep a bottle of patron at home for special events(this stuff is the smoothest for shots bar none-i use to drink 1800 and there is NO comparison). i had no idea patron came in different "flavors". i always just walk into the store and ask for patron and receive a bottle for 65$. where does it say silver or gold on it? Thanks.

M2d
07-16-2004, 01:54 PM
my theory on all alcohols: if you can't sip it and smile, it's not worth drinking (and, yes, I'm usually grinning like an idiot while drinking my bud light)

benfranklin
07-16-2004, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then the Commemorativo is likely a Blanco.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sausa Comemorativo is an anejo, but it is not 100% blue agave. Sausa Hornitos, also known in low places as Horny Toads, is 100% blue agave, and is a reposado. At most retail stores, the Comemorativo is about the same price as Hornitos, maybe a buck a bottle cheaper. Hornitos is a little smoother for sipping, Comemorativo has a little more tang, and I prefer it in margaritas.

Speaking of which, I humbly submit for your consideration and edification the perfect margarita:

For two drinks, combine
4 oz Comemorativo
1 1/2 oz Cointreau (if not available, substitute Triple Sec)
1 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz simple syrup (see note below)

Pour half of mixture into a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice and shake well for 20 seconds. Strain into a martini glass. Repeat for second drink.

Simple syrup is equal parts of water and sugar. I premix it using hot water to dissolve the sugar better. I dump a shot glass of sugar into a cup, add a shot glass of hot water, and stir.

turnipmonster
07-16-2004, 02:51 PM
I read somewhere that margaritas tend to mask the flavor of a good tequila, and good tequila should always be consumed straight. true, or urban legend?

personally I always get the cheap stuff in margaritas, but do enjoy mezcal quite a bit.

--turnipmonster

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Chinaco is good stuff. I've never sampled the Cazadores.

I just made a quick list of what the average Package Store (that's liquor store for all you non-New Englanders) would have on their shelves worth buying.

I will surely check that "Tommy's" out some day, thanks for the link.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 04:01 PM
an anejo, but it is not 100% blue agave

Not according to the Mexican Goverment.

[ QUOTE ]
4 oz Comemorativo
1 1/2 oz Cointreau (if not available, substitute Triple Sec)
1 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz simple syrup (see note below)

Pour half of mixture into a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice and shake well for 20 seconds. Strain into a martini glass. Repeat for second drink.

Simple syrup is equal parts of water and sugar. I premix it using hot water to dissolve the sugar better. I dump a shot glass of sugar into a cup, add a shot glass of hot water, and stir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice reciepe! For the quick party of 2 fix on a summer's night!

Peace,
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
07-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I read somewhere that margaritas tend to mask the flavor of a good tequila, and good tequila should always be consumed straight. true, or urban legend?

Some what of an urban legend by some cheap bastard.

Try this for a high-end marg:

4oz Patron
1 1/2 oz of Contreau
2 Limes
Salt
Sugar

Squeeze the livin $hit out of the two limes.
Add a 2 pinches of sugar and pinch of salt. (more sugar if you are afraid of str8-lime)

Pour the Patron and Contreau over Ice, add the Lime-sugar-salt mix. Shake and strain into a chilled 8oz Martini glass. Add a lime twist for color.

Enjoy,
Joe Tall

Ulysses
07-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Excellent recipe. Instead of the simple syrup, I prefer a splash of orange and/or cranberry juice. Give that a try sometime.

Ulysses
07-16-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

personally I always get the cheap stuff in margaritas, but do enjoy mezcal quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more accurate to say that most cheap tequilas are not great to drink straight, but you can stick them in a margarita (just as you can put any other marginal liquor in a mixed drink) and the mixers will mask the taste of the bad tequila.

On the other hand, a great tequila can be sipped straight just like a great scotch, but it also can make a fantastic margarita. With a great tequila, it's much less necessary to toss a bunch of Rose's or other sweet stuff into your margarita. The simple margarita recipes posted in this thread highlight the taste of excellent tequilas very well.

Zeno
07-16-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe,

Mexico does not have a government. Trust me on this. I have been there enough times to know.

Speaking of Blue Agaves, I dove through parts of Western Central Mexico (near Tepic to Guadalajara) and the Blue Agave plantations are quite exceptional and have a stunning beauty and charm.

A great drink is to hack off the top part of a cocoanut and then pour in your favorite dose of alcoholic drink, and you have mentioned some of the best, then lazily sip away through a straw while hiding from the sun beneath a dilapidated cabana structure watching the busy world wiz by. Having a very young and beautiful peasant woman fawning after you adds some panache to this tranquil scene.

-Zeno

Ulysses
07-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Zeno, you are my hero. I mean, after Zee.

benfranklin
07-16-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
an anejo, but it is not 100% blue agave

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe

Not sure which you were refering to. By Mexican law, tequila must be at least 51% agave. According to the Tequila Council (Conselo Regulador del Tequila), http://www.crt.org.mx/

[ QUOTE ]
In accordance with the existing Official Mexican Standard for Tequila, NOM-006-SCFI-1994, Alcoholic Beverages – Tequila - Specifications (annex 4) there are two categories of Tequila: 100% agave Tequila and Tequila of 51% agave sugars and 49% other sugars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also according to the Tequila Council, either of these two types can be classified as silver, gold, reposado, or anejo.

Anejo is defined as:

[ QUOTE ]
Tequila which has been left to mature for at least one year in oaken wooden containers having a maximum capacity of 600 liters; the commercial alcohol by volume must be adjusted by the addition of water.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that tequilas that are not 100% agave are called mixtos. And all this talking about it is making me thirsty. Time for some field research.

Anyone know how to say "Happy Hour" in Spanish?