PDA

View Full Version : Observations At A Poker Room

banditdad
07-16-2004, 01:14 AM
I had a business meeting cancel out on me and I found myself near the Bicycle Club in LA so I went in to watch some games with live players.

The closest game to the rail was a 6/12 HE game with 9 seats. I don't quite know how to interpret what I saw. I watched for 2 hours and this is how the play typically went.

PreFlop: 7 players would almost always call including the BB chacking.
Flop: Someone, usually in early position, would bet out and 4-5 players would call.
Turn: Someone, usually EP, would bet and 2-3 players would call
River: Bet and again 1-2 players would call the showdown.

I saw people calling preflop with literally nothing and going to the river to catch the flush or staright. One guy in particular called with 24s, and made a flush, 58o and made a straight, and then got his pocket Aces cracked. Is this normal? Do so many people just call, call, call? This is actually worse than online low limit games I've played in.

Also, in 2 hours I saw only 3 raises!!! Nobody raised. Even the guy who got a full house on the river only called.

I figured that each pot was worth $100-$120. It seems that any sort of tight/aggressive player should be able to clean up at these tables.

Am I right or misinterpreting what I saw?
Mike

baggins
07-16-2004, 01:39 AM
nope. you're probably right. that's how the games go, especially at the LA Low Limit games. totally beatable. even at the 1-2 level, where you'd think the rake would kill you. but the players are that bad.

italianstang
07-16-2004, 02:22 AM
Those games are definitely the most frustrating games to play in of course, I would give up a little EV if it meant being able to play in a game that wouldn't make me want to shoot everyone else at the table.

lowroller
07-16-2004, 02:24 AM
Welcome to LA!!

In the immortal words of El Diablo..."Viva El Bike! Ole!"

A little more raising last weekend at the 4-8 game I was in, but otherwise, just as you described.