PDA

View Full Version : Flopped 2 pair on a scary board - Now What?

Hotrod0823
07-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Last night in a Stars 50.00 NL tourney.

Haven't played many hands and was down to 1300 in chips with 25/50 Blinds.

In the small blind was dealt KQo.

All fold to me and complete.

The BB with about 3000 in chips raised to 150 and I called.

Flop comes T Q K rainbow. With 300 in the pot I checked my 2 pair. At this point I figured I would have to fold to a raise and a push is only getting called by a made straight.

BB over bets the pot to 750. I was surprised by the bet and had a couple ideas as to what that would represent. What would an over bet signify?

My feeling was that was too strong for a made straight. If he had the straight he would probably underbet the flop and maybe try to entice a bluff from me on the turn. Or check behind.

It could also signify a huge hand but I think that KK and QQ are unlikely given my holding and TT would probably be pushed.

That left me thinking he could have KQ, QJ, KJ, AK or possibly AA.

Given my read: correct or not I decide to put it back on him and pushed in. Calling 750 of my now 1150 stack felt wrong so I pushed allin.

He called flips over A3o.

Long story short he hit a J on the river and I was busted.

Should have I played the hand any differently?

On the flop should I bet out and fold to any kind of raise?

Is this hand scary enough to check fold with any action from the BB?

Thanks

Hotrod

schwza
07-16-2004, 09:52 AM
with 300 chips in the pot before the flop and you only have 1150, i would not give this hand up on the flop to any bet.

i would have bet out on the flop because an A, J, or 9 falling scares the crap out of me and will probably let the villain bluff me out even if he doesn't make a straight. you're hoping to get raised on the flop by some hand containing high cards (like KT, AK, etc) so you can push.

once you check, i think you played it right.