PDA

View Full Version : Checking three pair

lil'
07-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Opponent is loose pre-flop, not as loose post-flop. My three pair on the turn was not inspiring me to bet.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (4 handed)

Preflop: lil is UTG with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">lil raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">lil bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, lil checks.

River: (5 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, lil calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

potato
07-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Looks good to me, especially in these 4-handed games where players love to checkraise you with an ace (or nothing) to "push you off of a split". You have to show down and you don't have any room to push the hand.

Nightwish
07-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Way too timid. This is 4-handed, so SB could have a huge variety of hands that he'll call your turn bet with, and if he's aggressive, he might even check-raise you with a worse hand (such as Ax). I don't understand the point of giving him a free card. And if you do check the turn, you need to raise the river. You'll have the best hand here the vast majority of the time.

Nate tha' Great
07-15-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks good to me, especially in these 4-handed games where players love to checkraise you with an ace (or nothing) to "push you off of a split".

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's a good reason to bet. He'll get checkraised by a worse hand here a *lot*.

potato
07-15-2004, 08:53 PM
You want to get checkraised on the turn here? Then what?

Nightwish
07-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Call, and call his river bet. You'll be shown a worse hand a very good percentage of the time. At least that's what I would do in a game with more players. I'm not an expert at short-handed, so perhaps in that game you might even want to 3-bet (others can answer this better). But a check is definitely wrong.

lil'
07-15-2004, 10:17 PM
He'll get checkraised by a worse hand here a *lot*.
OK, I'll admit it would be nice if a bare ace check-raised me on the turn. However, a player who would do this is a "special" type of player. I make notes on players like this. He wasn't one of them, as far as I know.

potato
07-15-2004, 10:42 PM
I actually like a river raise more than I like a turn bet. The thing I hate about this situation is that when you get checkraised, you really don't know where you stand.

The marvel of shorthanded play is that in 3 more hands you are going to be able to play your T9s much more confidently.

glen
07-15-2004, 11:28 PM
This is not a special player that will do this, a ton of people do this. . . plus ace high is going to call you and any pair is going to call. I like betting here. . .

Ulysses
07-15-2004, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He'll get checkraised by a worse hand here a *lot*.
OK, I'll admit it would be nice if a bare ace check-raised me on the turn. However, a player who would do this is a "special" type of player. I make notes on players like this. He wasn't one of them, as far as I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get checkraised a lot by hands like 44 as well. And it doesn't take a very special player to do it.

Ulysses
07-15-2004, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually like a river raise more than I like a turn bet. The thing I hate about this situation is that when you get checkraised, you really don't know where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you're ahead a lot of the time. What more do you really need to know?

lil'
07-16-2004, 07:06 AM
My opponent showed A-8s and took the pot.

Thanks for the responses. If I had posted this hand, I would have told me to bet the turn as well. I mainly play shorthanded, and this is an auto-turn bet for me, so I'm not sure why I checked here. I guess I just had some stupid feeling I was toast, but I usually don't put too much stock into feelings like that. I've been called in this spot with nothing but overcards (or worse) more times than I can count.

Sometimes I fall ass-backwards into the right choice, but it doesn't feel right. This was definitely one of those times.