PDA

View Full Version : Why it's okay to value bet scary boards if you're willing to fold

Chris Daddy Cool
07-15-2004, 06:42 PM
UB 10/20

I'm in MP with A/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif after 3 limpers. I raise. Limpers call.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me. I bet. Only one of them stays in.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me. I bet. He calls.

River: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me. I bet. He raises. I fold.

The Armchair
07-15-2004, 08:36 PM
I really don't get it. For the same amount of money (I'm focusing on the river here, but it's true throughout), you could have gotten to a showdown. And I can't see how he'd call a value-bet anyway. By betting, at best you gain a fold if he's willing to lay down a low heart to your river bet, but at worst, you're allowing yourself to be bluffed out by a guy with a non-nut flush. Besides, if he calls your flop bet, you have to wonder if he already has two hearts (and made the flush on the turn). I'd bet in case he's calling w/A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and an offsuit rag. Had you checked, would you call a bet here?

Tosh
07-15-2004, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the same amount of money (I'm focusing on the river here, but it's true throughout), you could have gotten to a showdown. And I can't see how he'd call a value-bet anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the love of god how can people still make this comment ?

joker122
07-15-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but at worst, you're allowing yourself to be bluffed out by a guy with a non-nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

A CR by a non nut flush isn't a bluff here.

Saborion
07-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Is it correct to bet that river when last to act HU?
I can see the bet if you're first to act, but when you have the option to take a free showdown?

sthief09
07-15-2004, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the same amount of money (I'm focusing on the river here, but it's true throughout), you could have gotten to a showdown. And I can't see how he'd call a value-bet anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the love of god how can people still make this comment ?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe we haven't discussed it here enough /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
07-15-2004, 10:50 PM
So... we all agree betting this river is like, standard right?

Alobar
07-16-2004, 01:27 AM
I'm betting it

nepenthe
07-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Since this is UB I can't comment, but at Party there is a discrete segment of people who LOVE to raise the river with crap hands/non-hands on semi-dangerous boards (esp. paired, flush, obvious straight, etc.). An argument could be made for bet/calling or check/calling against these type of players.

Hops7
07-16-2004, 02:05 AM
you's gots to pays to see 'em

Nate tha' Great
07-16-2004, 02:40 AM
Folding on the end there is probably a mistake. I could see an ace with a weaker kicker and no flush playing it exactly that way, as this is one of those times when a check-raise might stand a better chance of folding the best hand than a regular old bet would.

That doesn't mean, however, that your value bet is incorrect.