PDA

View Full Version : Did I misplay this QQ

Zaebos
07-15-2004, 06:12 PM
10+1 SnG on Party
My reasoning was that I have seen players call and have had my all in reraises called by small pockets before.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed)

MP1 (t1675)
MP2 (t685)
CO (t730)
Zaebos (t770)
SB (t985)
BB (t770)
UTG (t2385)

Preflop: Zaebos is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t30, CO calls t30, Zaebos raises to t70, SB calls t55, BB calls t40, MP2 folds, CO raises to t110, Zaebos raises to t770 (All-In), SB folds, BB folds, CO calls t620 (All-In).

Flop: (t1670) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1670) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1670) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1670

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows Ks Ah (one pair, aces).
Zaebos shows Qc Qs (one pair, queens).
Outcome: CO wins t1630. Zaebos wins t40. [/col

codewarrior
07-15-2004, 06:37 PM
I think you had two options here - all-in preflop or fold. All-in would have gotten you the same result as what occured, as this player would have called (in hindsight, knowing what he had). Two hands beat you here - push, unless you have a read on the guy - not nec. from this game but others.

Zaebos
07-15-2004, 06:38 PM
thats how I felt about the hand but just looking for other opionions

Dominic
07-15-2004, 06:42 PM
another option - calling the preflop re-raise - you know what he has, right? You figure either he's got AK, AQ or another PP. You see the flop, let him bet his overcards, THEN pop him for a big raise. He has to fold. Nothing wrong with seeing a flop before raising all-in. You're giving him exactly what he wants - to see all five cards without having to make a decision.

Now...if he re-raises you on the flop then you have a decision to make - KK, AA? Or a smaller PP? Depends on your read then but it's highly unlikely anyone with AK will re-raise in that situation - if they will, you probably know that already.

Dominic
07-15-2004, 06:44 PM
plus, I think your raise pre-flop was too little...after 2 limpers, my raise is going to be AT LEAST 4 times the BB...get those limpers with Ax out...$70 is just not enough to get them to fold.

EvanJC
07-15-2004, 06:45 PM
nope, thats exactly how i would have played it, although i understand your worry. best case lower pocket pair, worst case dominated, most likely case AK. thats poker.

UncleRemus
07-15-2004, 06:48 PM
*EDIT* Sorry, the "calling CO raise" comment was supposed to go in under Dominics post. Anyway, this is responding to him *EDIT*

The problem with just calling the preflop raise from CO is that most likely both blinds will come along, as they are already in for 70. I'd rather not see the flop 4 handed with QQ. I think you did all you could after CO's raise, however..

With two limpers behind you, I probably would have made that initial raise a little more substantial than 70. Something between 100-150. Knowing what we know, it would have most likely folded around to CO, who would probably push, and you'd have an easy call imo (as I doubt CO would have limped with AA or KK in the cutoff with a limper behind him). No matter what, though, you're getting in a coinflip here and losing it, unfortunately /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dominic
07-15-2004, 06:50 PM
I think you're right about wanting to drive out the other two...that's why I would've raised bigger initially...get it down to the CO and me...I'd still like to see the flop first, if possible, though...great flop for QQ. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

DrPhysic
07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Especially with QQ or JJ.

I will argue with code here, I don't think you have to push. But you MUST bet enough to get the drawing hands (and AK is a drawing hand) out of the game.

If the AK is going to call anyway, so be it. You lose. But with a 4BB or 5BB raise, you should get all the drawing hands out of the game, and if you lose to the AK, at least you didn't necessarily lose the entire stack.

Implication: Yes, I can make a serious raise with QQ or JJ and then fold to a re-raise or a big raise on a later round.

Just one opinion, and you know what those are like.

Doc

DarrenX
07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
I would raise higher initially on the flop to get the junk out (or make the junk pay for coming along).

I'm usually suspicious of a minireraise, thinking KK or AA (OR it could be a fish who just has what he thinks is a decent hand and only knows where the RAISE button is). Without a read, I'd flat-call his reraise, and see how the flop comes out- all three under QQ and I don't see how I'm not all-in on the flop.

Dominic
07-15-2004, 07:10 PM
In the $20 NL SNGs and under, I see so many inexperienced limit players raising twice the blinds in NL I just automatically pop 'em with a much bigger re-raise these days - sometimes even with nada. If someone is slowplaying AA or KK with a mini-raise, I'm probably going to lose a good portion of my stack with QQ, but so be it.

patrick dicaprio
07-15-2004, 08:14 PM
the preflop raise is way too small. i would have raised to 120 at least if not more.the blinds are still relatively low but i can see why you went all in. i would prefer not to however as I would rarely reraise with QQ.

Pat