PDA

View Full Version : Call me the Downswing King! (A few hands)

Stefan Prodan
07-15-2004, 05:43 PM
I started today around $1050. I was down to $820 or so earlier thanks to hands like the one I'm about to post, but now I'm back up to $940, playing $2/$4 on Party.

Here's some hands I could use advice with:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: StefanProdan is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">StefanProdan raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (12.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">StefanProdan bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, BB folds.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">StefanProdan bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">StefanProdan bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, StefanProdan calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.75 BB, between StefanProdan and MP2.</font>

I was afraid of the three being around somewhere, but on the other hand I was having a hard time believing that a hand with a 3 in it would cold call me preflop. That's why I called down at the end. Should I have bailed as soon as he raised on the river, or was my final call good?

Preflop: StefanProdan is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, StefanProdan calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, StefanProdan calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">StefanProdan raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">StefanProdan caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (13.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, StefanProdan checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+2 folds, StefanProdan calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, StefanProdan checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, StefanProdan folds.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.50 BB, won by Button.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Button.</font>

With three other people on the flop I'm trying to ram and jam. Good idea? Bad idea?

Once the nine hit the turn and I might have been up against a boat, should I have folded? I'm thinking no since the odds were so tremendous at that point.

Preflop: StefanProdan is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">StefanProdan raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">StefanProdan bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">StefanProdan 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, StefanProdan calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (11.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
StefanProdan checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

River: (11.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
StefanProdan checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button folds, StefanProdan calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.75 BB, between StefanProdan and MP2.</font>

How was my raise on the flop here? Too aggressive? I realize I could have been up against AJ, but I thought that was probably the only hand that wouldn't reraise me preflop. Otherwise I felt pretty safe about it. Once I got 4-bet, I was planning to check and fold the turn. I was a little surprised at what happened on the river, but I thought I might be ahead if the guy in front of me was trying to bluff there. Any thoughts?

Preflop: StefanProdan is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">StefanProdan 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">StefanProdan raises</font>, MP2 calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">StefanProdan bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, StefanProdan calls, MP2 calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, StefanProdan calls, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.25 BB, between UTG and StefanProdan.</font>

When this turn card hit and I got raised, I was 90% sure of what I was up against. Yet I called anyway. I think the call may have been okay looking to get the K on the end, but I called on the river too. Is that too loose or would I be giving up too much if I folded?

I'll post results later.

Thanks guys.

colgin
07-15-2004, 06:04 PM
I only have time to look at one hand so here goes:

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: StefanProdan is UTG with A, A.
StefanProdan raises, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, 1 fold, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls,

Flop: (12.50 SB) Q, 9, 3 (6 players)
BB checks, StefanProdan bets, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, BB folds.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 3 (3 players)
StefanProdan bets, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 6 (3 players)
StefanProdan bets, UTG+1 folds, MP2 raises, StefanProdan calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB
Main Pot: 14.75 BB, between StefanProdan and MP2.

I was afraid of the three being around somewhere, but on the other hand I was having a hard time believing that a hand with a 3 in it would cold call me preflop. That's why I called down at the end. Should I have bailed as soon as he raised on the river, or was my final call good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now read carefully: The call on the river here is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY!

Your getting almost 14:1 on your call closing the action. Your hand has to be good here less than around 7% of the time for your call to be correct. Plus, if you make big folds on th river people may start taking shots at you. Plus the board pairing low often helps an overpair like Aces because you are now ahead of someone with a lower two pair hand. Plus, your opponent may have waited until the river to raise with a hand like top pair here (not that I am advocating that here), which you beat. You must call.

I hope that helps.

All the best,

Colgin

SomethingClever
07-15-2004, 06:21 PM
I think I play all of these the same way you did (although I suspect some people will tell you to bet the turn on hand 3). If you lost all these hands, I think you're just running bad.

Stefan Prodan
07-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Do you think I had the best hand on the turn in hand 3?