PDA

View Full Version : starting hands changed?

mojo
07-15-2004, 03:41 PM
The NL tourneys I play in are frustrating. First, they're free to enter so people play anything. Players get a lot of chips initially by playing K-x, Q-x, J-x, A-x unsuited and maybe any suited connectors. People stay for their draws even if raised. My question: do I need to change my starting hands too? Most people don't raise preflop so it is very cheap initially to see the flop. Each player starts with $500 in chips and initial blinds are 5-10 and they double every 30-45 minutes. Some books say to just play tighter in a loose game and you'll break the loose players. Do you agree with this? I'm considering playing these loose openers initially (while it's inexpensive) and then tighter up midway through the tourney. Any suggestions?

Potowame
07-15-2004, 03:58 PM
most the Players have no fear of losing thier chips, so its impossible to use any tricky plays or bluffs to get them to fold. You just need to play good straight forward poker, show them the best hand at the showdown. be tight aggresive, and do worry about the idiot that just doubled up with A4os IMO /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cferejohn
07-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Limping with good drawing hands in LP (preferably on the button) is OK. You're still looking to to the same thing as you are when you get a big PP preflop: punish the weak players who will call with marginal hands. Be careful with TP/TK, especially in a multiway pot, because you can see some strange 2-pairs in these games...

chet
07-15-2004, 04:05 PM
If you find playing in them frustrating, why play?

If I were you, I wouldn't loosen my starting requirements, but I would make it expensive for people to play when I did get a hand.

tripdad
07-15-2004, 05:18 PM
tight to one player is loose to another.

for example, my brother's girlfriend plays partypoker n/l $25 buy in max. she has gone one somewhat of a cold streak lately, and couldn't understand why, because she "doesn't play junk" preflop.

so, i asked her what her starting requirements were. any A,K,Q,orJ, any 2 suited, any pair.

so, someone may tell you to play tight, but what does that mean to you?

personally, i wouldn't even waste time playing a play money tourney.

cheers!