PDA

View Full Version : Gross Misuse of position?

MercTec
07-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Home 4/8 game

OK, I'm embarassed of this one, but I just took a huge bad beat and I admit I was playing a little scared and stupid.

J10s on the button. Folded to me and I just limp (I should raise this right?). SB completes and BB checks.

Flop comes AKx.

Check, check, Check (weak)

Turn 9

Check, Check, Check (Really dumb right?)

River is a blank.

Check, check, check. 97 in the SB takes it. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

zram21
07-15-2004, 03:15 PM
You certainly should have raised this preflop. I would raise many hands worse than this if it is folded to me on the button.

It would have been hard to bet that flop after not raising it preflop. Since you didn't show any strength preflop your opponents probably won't give you as much credit for an A or K and might call you anyway (although it is hard to imagine that 97 would have called past the flop if he was even still there).

Raise preflop.
Bet the flop.
Take the free card of you don't improve on the turn.

sthief09
07-15-2004, 03:27 PM
you should start reading the posts in the micro-limit forum. I hope your friends don't play well, because if they do, this could turn out to be an expensive hobby if you don't start learning to play well.

there's never a reason to open-limp on the button. it's just about the worst thing a player can do. the turn is definitely worth taking a stab at. I'm not so interested in betting the flop, especially if the players are passive.

StellarWind
07-15-2004, 03:33 PM
When you open from cutoff or button you should raise-or-fold. This gives you a chance to steal the blinds and take the initiative postflop. From cutoff it also buys the button.

I consider the cutoff part of the rule to be almost absolute because of buying the button. From button it can be correct to limp a bad heads-up hand like JTs if you know that the blinds will always insist on being shown the best hand and you cannot steal from them preflop or on the flop. In a home game you might know the players this well but you have given no indication that this is the case.

Back to the actual play, I would bet this flop as a bluff and to get a free card for my gutshot. However it is not "weak" to think your hand may not be good here /images/graemlins/smile.gif. You are just being passive.

Not sure how I could ever get into your turn situation, but with a third playing zone card on board and no real need for a free showdown, this check seems correct. Betting is too little too late and even Qx may call you.

MercTec
07-15-2004, 04:02 PM
I KNOW I played this all wrong....and I think I knew where I played it wrong. I just wanted to get verification from other posters to see if where I thought was wrong was right....if you're with me.

I am a winning player in B&M and online so thus far so my hobby hasn't cost me a penny.

I didn't raise because I was short stacked and playing waaaay too passive after a bad beat....sort of reverse tilt...and I knew it as I was doing it but I just played it dumb anyway.

I can see you coming down hard on me for this and thats fine. If I only posted hands where I played well I wouldn't learn anything. Just another lesson learned and I hopefully my discipline takes precedence over my stupidity next time.