PDA

View Full Version : Satisfying that competitive urge

davidross
07-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I wonder if anyone else has run into this. When I used to work Monday to Friday, 9 to 5, I so looked forward to playing a round of golf. I was the one booking times and rounding up a foursome. In the WInter it was curling, and agian I was the organiser, reminding the team when we played and scheduling tournaments.

In the 15 months since I started playing poker full time my desire to do either of these activities has dropped to almost zero. I played 5 games of golf last year, and none this year. I was supposed to play today, but when my daughter reminded me this morning that she needed a ride to her piano lesson I cancelled golf with no regrets.

I thought I played the game for the companionship, the excercise, and the escape, but it has become clear that golf was my chance to satisfy my competitive urge.

It's ironic that I have more spare time than ever now, but would rather use it to go to the gym, or for a bike ride, or simply to sit and read a book.

Anyone else go through this when they increased their poker hours??

WDC
07-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Yep,

I have not played a round of golf since I started playing poker regularly. Some of it is that I can't do both and still keep my marraige intact. My wife likes poker hours better than golf hours. Foe some reason she likes me around during the day but not so much at night. (hmmm) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

A lot of it is the competitve urge. I would just rather play poker.

JTrout
07-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Anyone else go through this when they increased their poker hours??

Yes.

Golf was very attractive to me as a youngster because I could compete. And the more I practiced the better I could get.

I've played golf competitively for 26 yrs. The charm/adventure/excitement of traveling has worn off.

Poker has replaced golf for me. I compete. The harder I work, the better I get.

I give golf lessons as a profession.
I've played 1 round of golf in the past 3 months.
I have no urge to play.
I would, however, go play this afternoon if there was a decent wager riding on it!

You summed it up- competitive urge.

JTrout.

MaxPower
07-15-2004, 04:08 PM
If I were ask to choose between golf and poker, golf would win. I wouldn't even have to think about it. My golf game is awfull right now. I'm playing tomorrow - let's see how that goes.

David, I think the solution to your problem is that you need to start betting heavily on your golf matches /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What about curling? Have you given that up?

davidross
07-15-2004, 04:40 PM
I still play once a week in a league, but that's it. No tournaments.

I will still golf when invited, but I'm not organising anything myself, and after today i might not be invited anymore.

Betting on golf would be disastrous for me. I'm pretty good from tee to green, my gross motor skills work fine, but putting just kills me. My fine motor skills are awful, I have quite a tremor in my hands at the best of times (you should see me rake in a big pot) and under the pressure of a bet I'm sure I wouldn't even be able to take the club back.

MaxPower
07-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Switch to the long putter or belly putter. I used a long putter for a year and my putting improved dramatically. Then I switched back to a normal putter and I got even better.

I used to be a good ball striker with terrible short game. Now I have a good short game and am a terrible ball striker.

nolanfan34
07-15-2004, 06:08 PM
I think competitiveness certainly plays a part. But I also think that working to improve at something like golf or poker is another driving factor.

Generally, for a lot of people when they peak at golf, it becomes a little less exciting to play. I still try to play anytime that I can, but a lot of that drive is trying to lower my handicap. I've trickled down to a 12.5, and I really want to get to a single digit someday.

But once I feel like I've peaked, I can imagine I'll probably turn more to something else to seek personal growth.

That's what's great about poker, most of us will always know we can get better. And the money doesn't hurt either.

David, I will be interested to follow your progress over the coming year, to see if you still maintain the passion for poker, since I know you play pretty much full time at home now, correct? I just am curious as to whether your excitement has waned at all when you sit down for the day to play or not.

I'm guessing no, based on your post, which is exciting.

davidross
07-15-2004, 06:42 PM
I do still love to play everyday. In fact since I've begun dabbling into tournaments I'm probably playing too much, at least enough that my wife has told me to cut back a bit. Luckily she wants a second story on the house too, so I'm getting away with whatever I want.

I still can't believe I don't have to get in the car every morning and drive an hour to sit in meetings all day. Interestingly enough, it's the weeks or days where I'm winning comfortably that are the most boring. I find myself checking out the forums, or a show on TV instead of concentrating on the games. When I'm down, I'm all business trying to get even. I hope the passion remains.