PDA

View Full Version : Poker Player with highest net worth

Anadrol 50
07-15-2004, 01:27 PM
I would have to say Mason as he commands the 2+2 empire.

Anybody else ?

Who do you think has the most just from playing poker ? Fossilman ?

bunky9590
07-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Ted Forrest would be a good bet or even phil Ivey. These guys destroy the cash games.

Anadrol 50
07-15-2004, 01:33 PM
I am sure they do, but do you think they have more than what Fossilman has ?

Ed Miller
07-15-2004, 01:53 PM
This is a tough call, because it could be so many people, but I think I'm going to go with Bill Gates.

dogmeat
07-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Doyle Brunson and Dewey Tomko both have long records of good play against some very wealthy opponents. They also have investments including a golf course they bought with Jack Binion quite a few years back. Can't guess at their net worth, but it should be substantial. Amarillo Slim should also be in very good shape. He owns a lot of land in Texas.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Anadrol 50
07-15-2004, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't consider Gate's first label as 'poker player'. If you think like that then 50% of the country would be classified as a 'poker player'.

I am sure you know what I meant, so I will not bother to rephrase it in a technicaly correct manner....

jedi
07-15-2004, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have to say Mason as he commands the 2+2 empire.

Anybody else ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's easy, Bill Gates. But of course almost none of it came from poker.

bdk3clash
07-15-2004, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I heard he crushes the 3/6 game at the Mirage.

felson
07-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Dude, you don't work for Microsoft anymore, so no need to suck up to the man. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the way, the new Gates building at MIT is quite ugly.

Joe Tall
07-15-2004, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't consider Gate's first label as 'poker player'

Then it's Barry Greenstein. He gives 100% of his poker winnings to charity.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Songwind
07-15-2004, 02:14 PM
I was going to suggest him, or "Dot Com".. Paul whoever.

Phil Gordon apparently made a bundle off the sale of Netsys but probably not in Greenstein's league.

Gator
07-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Throw Larry Flynt into the mix.

Rick Diesel
07-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Just a guess off the top of my head, but I would guess that Fossilman is not in the top 100. First of all, he has backers, who I am sure got a great deal of his winnings. Second of all, there are MANY people who consistently play much higher limit games than him.

jedi
07-15-2004, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By "almost none of it," I mean as a percentage of his net worth. He probably makes more money than I do at the 3/6 game though.

bdk3clash
07-15-2004, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By "almost none of it," I mean as a percentage of his net worth. He probably makes more money than I do at the 3/6 game though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I was joking. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I heard he isn't particularly good.

felson
07-15-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I was joking. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I heard he isn't particularly good.

[/ QUOTE ]

And every time he gets beat, his lawyers come in to buy out the competition.

Rushmore
07-15-2004, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who do you think has the most just from playing poker ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, because I am so rich in all of the friends and acquaintances I have met playing poker. I am also rich in the comraderie and general sense of belonging that I get from the poker players from around the world who I meet here, at 2+2.

I also have a big bunch of money.

So I'm like the George Bailey of poker.

Hello, Foxwoods! Hello, Oaks Club! Hello, Bellagio! Hello, you nasty old Taj Mahal!!

Ed Miller
07-15-2004, 04:08 PM
By the way, the new Gates building at MIT is quite ugly.

Hehe, ya, the year I left (2001), they had this architectural scale model of the building in a meeting room that I met in all the time. So I got to see a lot of the model, and it was basically the most bizarre-looking building I'd ever seen. I'd marvel at its bizarreness every day...

I never saw what was wrong with Building 20 (http://www.eecs.mit.edu/building/20/)... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lowroller
07-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Like Joe Tall, I would have to say Barry G. On the live telecast last night, they mentioned that nobody was "even close" to being in Barry G's league, financially. I remember Mike Sexton singing his praises during a WPT event. It's funny, because both times when his wealth was mentioned, the announcers get this tone in their voice like "Fagedaboutit".

This brings up another question I was thinking of last night...Phil Ivey:

By his own admission, he plays in "the biggest games in the world" and blows 200K on stupid-assed prop bets. Obviously the guy has cabbage...But my question is this:

Where did he get the $ to start?!

He's 27 and has been playing for 5 years. It seems to me to be a very short period of time to go from beginner to the top, no? Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and his play. The timeline just doesn't seem quite right to me. Even with success, I would think it would take longer to roll up a large enough stake to tackle the games he plays in (not to mention the props).

Does anyone know if he had $ to start with or some other leg up?

felson
07-15-2004, 07:51 PM
snakehead on zee, greenstein, forrest, and ivey (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=781312&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1)

thirddan
07-15-2004, 08:40 PM
i think it was on this site, but someone told of phil ivey sneaking into the taj before he was legal to play in the 1-5 stud games and apparently he was winning a ton (for that limit)...

M2d
07-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Dr. Buss?

Rooster71
07-16-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doyle Brunson and Dewey Tomko both have long records of good play against some very wealthy opponents. They also have investments including a golf course they bought with Jack Binion quite a few years back. Can't guess at their net worth, but it should be substantial. Amarillo Slim should also be in very good shape. He owns a lot of land in Texas.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe Amarillo Slim has two sizable ranches (something like 2000-4000 acres), one in Texas and one in New Mexico.