PDA

View Full Version : Push with flopped 2 pair?

pukenpete
07-15-2004, 01:13 PM
UB sng, I'm in the BB and short stacked, button is a bit tight, SB is loose and a little weak but lucky.

Button (4865)
SB (3825)
HERO (1310)

Blinds 100/200

Button limps, SB completes, I stare at J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and check

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, HERO bets 200 (push?), Button calls, SB folds

Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif
HERO bets 200, Button calls

River: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
HERO bets 710 (all-in), Button calls.

Button shows 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif for the nut flush.

I think the button would have called me if pushed pre-flop as I was pushing quite a bit on steals with any ace and Kxs but as it had been awhile since I won anything but blinds, I wanted to milk this a bit and try to double up. Plus I would've knocked out the SB earlier had an earlier flopped bottom 2 pair (7-2 no less) held out and I think that image was still burning. Anyways, thanks.

Jason Strasser
07-15-2004, 01:45 PM
A lot of weak players like to limp on the button 3 handed then bet any flop, as opposed to raising preflop to steal the blinds. I'd say a lot of button's would bet most any flop here, especially if he/she caught a piece of it.

As a result, I'm probably check raising all-in. Or pushing on the turn if it goes check check check.

But your line isn't bad.

jon_1van
07-15-2004, 02:02 PM
I think the 200 bet on the flop was too small. Anybody with anything that can draw to beat you would stay in. See the A2 drawing to a higher two pair (not to mention runner runner flush).

600 flop bet would be just about right...but if you put in 600 on the flop you only have 500 more....so I would just push there.

Going from 1310 to 1710 would not have been bad. That would have been at 30% increase in your stack.

ddubois
07-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Personally, I would have bet the flop larger, although I understand your desire to play it a little slow and extract more, so 200, 400, I'm not sure it matters much.

It intersting you are asking whether you should have pushed on the flop, but not asking whether you should have pushed on the turn. Once it becomes possible that someone picked up a draw - or picked up a king - I get very overprotective of my hand. I would have pushed on that turn for sure.

Hood
07-16-2004, 06:26 AM
I like the play. It's down to 3, you're short stacked, making bottom top & bottom pair is a monster hand. I wouldn't start worrying about runner-runner flushes or two pair drawing out on you - this is the kind of hand you may be able to double-up and get back in to contention.

So yeah, I like your small bet on the flop. As Jason says, check-raise all-in would be a good move too. Basically, the best way to get all your money in.

On the turn, there's now a flush draw and an overcard. I think that get a little worrying with two pair. Time to push (if someone's picked up a flush draw, that's great for you, they may call you on a 4:1).

patrick dicaprio
07-16-2004, 08:41 AM
not sure why you posted this. you got screwed by a runner runner flush. i will take my chances with your hand every time. my only critique would be the min bets. you should bet more as you will likely still be called. you shouldnt push on the flop, but i would make a pot sized bet or would bet whatever amount you usually bet when trying to steal on the flop.

Pat

steveyz
07-16-2004, 10:04 AM
I probably push on the turn. Check raise all-in on the flop would also work.