PDA

View Full Version : Interesting decision

BlackMamba
07-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Hello. I won a TP MTT NL Holdem tournament last night. During the tournament, and tought decision lay in front of me. I had about $2200 in chips and had just doubled up. My amount is the avg. amount at the table. Blinds are $50/$100. Table is pretty aggressive, but only after the flop. The people would routinely limp in with A,A, and K,K but raise with hands like A,J and K,Q, both offsuit. To combat this post-flop aggression, I played tighter than usual and it payed off.

I'm dealt 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB. One player limps and another player raises to $100. I decided to call( I started playin looser after I got some chips) and 4 other players call.

Pot size=$525
Flop comes:5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I decide to check in hopes that somebody will bet so I can check raise. Luckily a player overbets the pot for $913. I start to wonder if he has a 5. What's my move? Results to follow.

Chief911
07-15-2004, 11:39 AM
For better or for worse, thats many times the situation you get yourself into when you play crappy hands like 95o. Even if its fun to flop a monster, what happens when you flop a semi-monster like this? You have NO idea where you are, and someone could have just hit with A5 of K5.

This is a good scenario why folding 95o to a raise would have helped you avoid this sticky situation.

That said, now that you are in this situation, I'd seriously consider folding.

Nick

tripdad
07-15-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if its fun to flop a monster, what happens when you flop a semi-monster like this

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree the preflop fold would be without question the right move. however, Hero's hand is not a semi-monster...it is a powerhouse, pure and simple. he should move his chips in without question.

cheers!

AceKQJT
07-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Like Chief said, 9-5 can get you in trouble. However, folding now would be an even bigger mistake...HUGE, in fact. Any pocket pair greater than 6 may overbet this pot. AK may, in fact, overbet the pot here, but probably not. I would imagine that you are up against a pocket pair higher than the board but vulnerable to overcards...maybe 8-8, 9-9, T-T, J-J. I suspect that a pocket pair bigger than J-J will underbet the pot here, and any 5 will check-raise or simply raise when bet into.

6-6 puts you drawing to one out (the last 5), but I don't think the original bettor is holding that hand.

--Casey

EDIT: Forgot to say that you should push

tripdad
07-15-2004, 11:58 AM
blinds are $25/50, right?

if blinds are 50/100, nobody can RAISE to 100. and if they raised it to 200, the pot would have been 1050 on the flop.

cheers!

BlackMamba
07-15-2004, 12:11 PM
LOL, you right trip. I misread my HH. The betting level is at 50/100, the blinds are 25/50