PDA

View Full Version : Fold or call here?

TheCat
07-15-2004, 06:28 AM
50 pound NLHE, Onland tournament
It’s a long way from the bubble. In the BB with T2500, blinds are 500/1000, so after posting only 1500 left. I hold Q6o, all fold to SB who bets all in covering me. SB I’m sure has a real hand here minimum of A2, 22, KQ.
What do I do? I probably got pot odds to call but pot odds don’t count for much in this situation.

SevenStuda
07-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Sounds like you answered your own question. The move is folding, unless you like getting eliminatated early and finishing short of the money, in that case, go all in.

-Dimitri

schwza
07-15-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you answered your own question. The move is folding, unless you like getting eliminatated early and finishing short of the money, in that case, go all in.

-Dimitri

[/ QUOTE ]

that's some booty advice. you have to call. SB will push here with a wide, wide range of hands. if you get lucky and win here you'll have 5000, which is enough that an all-in raise might not get called (say, if you can push from the button in 2 hands). if you fold, you're reducing your hand by 40%. i believe the advice i've heard is that if you're ever putting more than 1/3 of your stack in the blinds, you shouldn't fold. and not to mention, Q6 is not a terrible hand against somebody who'll push with a lot, although i would recommend calling literally any two cards here.

tripdad
07-15-2004, 06:15 PM
easy decision...fold. you don't just want to double up when you play. you want for, say, 2 people to limp in or raise plus have the blinds yet to act. this way you can triple or quadruple up (albeit a smaller amount). surely you will be dealt something better in the next 8 or 10 hands.

cheers!

durron597
07-15-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
easy decision...fold. you don't just want to double up when you play. you want for, say, 2 people to limp in or raise plus have the blinds yet to act. this way you can triple or quadruple up (albeit a smaller amount). surely you will be dealt something better in the next 8 or 10 hands.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets do some math here. If he calls now, and doubles up, he will have 5000 chips. If he folds, and folds his SB, he will have 1000 chips. Assuming he can then quadruple up, he will have 4000 chips.

Easy, easy call IMO. With any luck he will have a hand thats nearly a coinflip - 22-55, or A5-A2o. Pot odds is a very real thing; yesterday I was BB with 94o, a short stack goes allin, with less than 2BB, folded to me. I call, because I have pot odds, and what do you know, he has AKo, I have 94o, and I hit 4s full of 9s, and he misses. It really does mean something that 94o is only a 2:1 dog in that situation, since I had 3:1 pot odds.

Now, in your situation, if he has AA/KK, you are a 5:1 dog and should fold. If he has QQ, you are a ridiculous dog and should fold. If he has JJ-77, you are only a 7:3 dog, and have approximate odds to call. If he has 66, you STILL have odds to call.

So, basically, you should only fold here (because of pot odds) if you think he has AA,KK, or QQ. If he's on a wider range than that, it is an easy call. And you can just smile when everyone at your table says "nh" when you know you made the only move you could possibly make.

TheCat
07-15-2004, 07:23 PM
I suspect calling is correct, I did call and SB showed A8o.
Cards fell
AQ862 so I was out.

The thing about pot odds in this situation I don't like is, if pot odds are +EV but I'm out of the tournament most of the time. Well that can't be good as most of the time I have no chance to get into the money.
This is very different form a cash game where +EV pot odds are clearly a fine thing to have in any circumstance.

Troy92
07-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Good call. It sucks to get knocked out. But fold this hand and you are on life support anyways.

You aren't that big of a dog in this situation. The small blind should be going in with anything that can beat two random cards. Likely cards include Ax or Kx, which would give you about a 37% chance of surviving. The times that you do win the showdown, you are back up to 5xBB which gives you some more plays, including some ability to steal blinds. Double up again and you are back in the game.