PDA

View Full Version : short handed 5/10 hand

gomberg
07-15-2004, 01:25 AM
3 handed 5/10. I'm in BB. I have about $1100. Button folds, small blind completes (has me covered), I'm in BB w/ 68s.

I raise to $30 for bluffing equity. I also have a tight image postflop, so the other players will make a play at me on many scare cards / rags. SB calls.

Flop is 7d9hTd. Damn good flop for me. - I don't have diamonds or hearts.

SB checks, I bet $40, SB quickly calls.

Turn (79T)Ts

SB checks, I bet $100, SB check-raises me to $300, what's your move? He's seen me fold to a couple check-raises before and he could literally have any two here - but could also have a draw or a ten. What's the most +EV play based on what I know of this opponent and what he knows of me (I have not been raising too much, but once in a while, and he has seen me take stabs at pots and then fold to raises a couple times in the last ten minutes).

ML4L
07-15-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey gomberg,

How is my $0.25/$0.50 heads-up hand gonna get any responses when you post this immediately after...? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This kinda reminds me of your 77 vs. 22 hand. There are two ways to play it (I just cannot fathom folding). Try to induce a worse hand to put more money in on the river, or gun it out now, hoping to make a draw put in the money with the worst of it.

Ugh. Much like my reply to your 77 hand, I could tell that this one was going to turn into: "It's really close, and I don't really know what to do." Worthless. I hope someone else helps here; this is a nightmare of a hand...

The way that I see it, no matter what comes, it will be VERY difficult to tell on the river whether you have the best hand. Your opponent might think that he can make a big value bet with a bunch of hands that you can beat. I'd go ahead and raise now. There are just too many cards that are going to make you second-guess yourself on the river. Unless you can read yourself out of a corner on the river, I wouldn't put myself in the situation. You have a great hand; he will call all-in on the turn with some hands that you beat.

I would raise all-in. This is two hands today that have left me feeling inadequate about my poker ability. Stop it.

ML4L

gomberg
07-15-2004, 02:10 PM
ML4L,

Thanks for the response. This is in fact a very similar situation as the other hand I posted. As it was, I followed your line of thinking but only pot committed my self by raising back $400. He folded.

The reason for the play was as you stated, there were a ton of cards on the river that would have been difficult to play, and I didn't want to give myself a very hard decision on the end. I really would like to know what he had though... And I agree, I don't know which of the two plays is better /images/graemlins/frown.gif

theBruiser500
07-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Did you not reraise all in, you min reraised? Was this because you were afraid of scaring him off and wanted the value? IMO, these small minreraises look very fish and extremely strong, I'd just go all in.

Ionphore
07-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Bruiser,

Read the posts carefully - he did not minraise - he reraised 400...which made him pot commited...

gomberg
07-15-2004, 05:53 PM
I never min-raise unless I misclick /images/graemlins/smile.gif

theBruiser500
07-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Same thing, I'd have gone all in.

Richie Rich
07-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Your PF raise most likely represents painted cards (QJ/AK, etc.) in the eyes of your opponents...they wouldn't realize that you flopped the straight. I'd say your opponent either has T-x or 8-x, but you're winning on the turn. Problem is you're thinking of monsters again...

Easy call or min-raise him back, and be sure to value bet if a diamond, J or 6 doesn't fall on the river.

gomberg
07-15-2004, 06:09 PM
I think subconsciously the reason I did it is I wanted to give him a chance to call or push with a TJ type hand. I felt by giving him a little better implied odds too with some type of straight / flush draw, he might call. I figured a mistake by him was more likely than with me pushing. It was effectively the same thing anyway, as I only had $300 more or so I think. It was about a 1/2 pot raise. I sometimes push in spots like this, sometimes not, and this time just felt it better not too, but I could have been wrong.

Richie Rich
07-15-2004, 06:09 PM
...to give the hand results in a separate post entitled "RESULTS"...makes it a lot easier to follow.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gomberg
07-15-2004, 06:13 PM
so noted - i'll do that for next time. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fsuplayer
07-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Gomberg-
Fun hand.
Nothing like flopping the stone cold, then getting just a little nervous on the turn! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I actually agree completely with Bruiser this time. I would reraise all in for a couple of reasons.
1. I dont want him to call my reraise, then push at me when the flush card hits on the river (even though I would still call if I had raised to 400 like you).

2. More importantly, the pot commiting raise looks slightly suspcious. I would just move in as it looks less intimidating than the medium pot-commiting reraise.
OTOH, he is most likely not calling w/o at least trips, so the raise size may not matter as much as we are talking about here.

Mainly, I would just get my $ in now and not have to piss myself when the a flush or double pair hits the board.

fsuplayer

Roman
07-15-2004, 08:39 PM
I would push for reasons already mentioned, I big re-raise screams: I wanna potcommit me/you and take the rest of your stack.

Garland
07-15-2004, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing like flopping the stone cold, then getting just a little nervous on the turn!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a minor correction: J8 is the stone cold nuts on the flop, not 68.

Garland