PDA

View Full Version : Notes on America

Zeno
07-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Notes on America:

I have never been able to look upon America as young and vital, but rather as prematurely old, as a fruit which rotted before it had a chance to ripen. The word, which gives the key to the national vice, is waste.

-Henry Miller

Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

-Oscar Wilde

An asylum for the sane would be empty in America

-George Bernard Shaw

In modern America, anyone who attempts to write satirically about the events of the day finds it difficult to concoct a situation so bizarre that it may not actually come to pass while the article is still on the presses.

-Calvin Trillin

In American, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of choice, but nothing to choose from.

-Peter Ustinov

America is a country no one should go to for the first time.

-Jawaharlal Nehru

America is the greatest of opportunities and the worst of influences.

-George Santayana

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-15-2004, 08:37 AM
I don't agree with all of them, but Trillin & Ustinov nailed it.

TheCat
07-15-2004, 08:51 AM
I'd ban America, at least let the French run it. What a pity Russia lost the cold war.

Zeno
07-15-2004, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with all of them, but Trillin & Ustinov nailed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is fairly close to my assessment also.

-Zeno

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Another thread made me think of this, but one thing I've always found disappointing about the US is that here most people think McDonalds is real food and Budweiser is real beer. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

daveymck
07-16-2004, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another thread made me think of this, but one thing I've always found disappointing about the US is that here most people think McDonalds is real food and Budweiser is real beer. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think whats worse is the rest of the world have also been convinced that this is the case.

elwoodblues
07-16-2004, 10:28 AM
America is the place where a bunch of goth kids can all dress the same and claim to be doing so "to be different."
~elwood

America is the place where people can go on a talk show and tell others not to judge them by the way they look, but when questioned about why they look the way they do their response is "this is who I am."
~elwood - a man who wants to judge people because of who they are