PDA

View Full Version : people who insist on giving lessons...

o0mr_bill0o
07-14-2004, 10:50 PM
I often find myself in a game and some player who clearly considers him/herself god's gift to poker takes a "bad" beat. they then insist on berating the player that beat them and giving them all sorts of actual advice on their play. I'm sure all of you have run into the same sort of situation. And there I find myself, not liking that this player from whom I was once able to count on for a significant amount of money may no longer be donating as much to the game once they realize their mistakes. What do you guys do in these situations? do you just sit there and let it happen, do you say something? can you say anything? ugh, it's just really frustrating.

RustedCorpse
07-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Start talking about something else. Get the conversation flowing at the table and if you can take a smoke break with the guy who got the bad beat, do a wink wink nudge nudge and say "buddy don't tap on the glass." Try to keep both sides happy.

I had a pefect demonstration of how one comment changes a table just yesterday. I flopped nut straight and had someone capping me on the turn and river, he showed two pair, I said "I limp on the flop then come out like a maniac, you had to assume I had a set at least." He nodded meekly, from then on I couldn't get paid off on the table. So once again keep the table light and happy.

Cosimo
07-14-2004, 11:41 PM
There's a number of threads on this here. Look for the phrase "table coach."

Louie Landale
07-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Telling him not to educate the bone heads is both bad business and won't work.

Interrupt him and say "Bush saved the world by knocking out Husein" or "The country would have been much better had Bush not stolen the election from Gore". Those conversations are much better overall.

When you get a private moment, remind the guy its bad business to educate the bone heads.

- Louie

Lottery Larry
07-15-2004, 01:12 PM
I always harass the know-it-all table captain, usually with a "beat up on YOU, didn't they?" That defends the other player and hopefully tilts the know-it-all even more.