PDA

View Full Version : A couple hands for critique

young nut
07-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Just seeing if I am playing these hands correctly, any input would be appreciated.

First hand, a draw:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (6 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 raises, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG bets $2.25 (All-In), UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Was this correct to call the raise here?

River: (17.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ts Jc (one pair, eights).
UTG shows 7d Kd (two pair, kings and eights).
UTG+1 shows Ks Qc (two pair, kings and eights).
MP3 shows 9d As (two pair, aces and nines).
Button shows Td 5d (one pair, eights).
Outcome: MP3 wins 17.25 BB. </font>

Second hand, TPTK:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

I think I maybe should have raised preflop, but my objective for raising would be to lower the amount of people in the field, and on this table, everyone was calling with any two cards, even to a raise. so I didn't feel it was worth the raise with only A J.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero raises, BB folds, UTG 3-bets, Hero calls.

This 3-bet got me worried, mainly about the UTG having the 7.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Qd Js (two pair, jacks and sevens).
Hero shows Jd Ac (two pair, jacks and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.75 BB. </font>

SparkyDog
07-14-2004, 10:24 PM
In hand 2, raise PF. Their any two style is precisely the reason to raise AJo. You're only behind to AA-JJ, AK-Q. You'll win more than your fair share.

On the flop, I'd usually cap when HU with position, and see what he does on the turn. What you really need to worry about is if he came alive on the turn all of a sudden. This line is more commonly taken with trips.

jacki
07-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Hand 1: Check-call the turn.

Hand 2: Raise preflop. At microlimits, you're not trying to limit opponents. You're trying to get as much money into the pot as possible when you have the best hand, which you likely do with "only" AJo

huxbux
07-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Hand 1: As said check call the turn. Not making your hand, you want to see the river card as cheaply as possible.

Hand 2: Definitely raise PF. Micro-limit is different then higher stakes. The objective here isn't to get people out because they're going to come anyways. You more then likely have the best hand, and will win with it more often then the holdings of the other players at the table. So, you want to win as much as possible when it does win. That's micro-limit. Your call down is fine if you don't have a read on a player. Many players are just as likely to 3-bet 2 pair on a paired board as they are trips. Some more likely in fact, as alot of players wait till the turn to show aggression hoping to disguise their hand.