PDA

View Full Version : AQ hand, need help!

Justin A
07-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Any advice on this hand appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1 TEHero***** (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($$257.15)
BB ($$174.70)
UTG ($$233.35)
Hero ($$221.55)
CO ($$24.90)
Button ($$184.30)

Preflop: Hero TEHero%%%%%Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG raises to $6, Hero calls $6, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

I should have folded preflop here in retrospect.

Flop: ($15) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets $8, Hero raises to $20, UTG raises to $40, Hero folds.

So I get a great flop, and fold it. Should I have flat called this and tried to play a small pot?

Final Pot: $75
<font color="green">Main Pot: $55, won by UTG.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $20, returned to UTG.</font>

Justin A

gomberg
07-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Well, it looks like you were against KK or tied. Since you could have picked up a backdoor flush draw, I don't mind calling here - but the way you played it probably defined the hand unless he was pushing a draw or restealing from you. Since it is short handed, you really have to know if this guy raises often and is willing to reraise with a hand like KQ, etc. Keeping the pot small isn't a bad idea - especially if you think he can keep bluffing with nothing - see the other calling down threads lately. I've found calling people down to be a very profitable strategy once in a while.

HUSKER'66
07-15-2004, 08:56 AM
I don't know Justin, I think I would have smooth called the $8 and looked for another card. He's giving you 3/1 on a call, and your two other queens are probably clean outs plus the backdoor nut flush draw. I think the villian would have made a pot size bet if he had flopped a set or an overpair so as not to give any flush draw proper odds.If an Ace comes on the turn, you might be ahead with 2 pair or way behind if he's holding AA(I don't think so with an 1/2 size pot bet-see above). You've got position though, so use that your advantage, and peel one off relatively cheap.I wouldn't be surprised if you up against jacks or tens.

Just my thoughts.

Husker

Wayfare
07-15-2004, 09:13 AM
My main question is why would you call a 6x BB open raise with AQo? Unless you can play very well postflop or your opponent plays it poorly, you are usually going to make yourself a second-best hand.

cornell2005
07-15-2004, 10:39 AM
preflop: eh..

flop: straightforward. raising is the best option in most cases, and its not really close. a flop flat call would require some very strong reads on your opponent. obviously your folding to his reraise. just keep in mind why exactly you are raising the flop (its much more for information than for value)

bunky9590
07-15-2004, 10:42 AM
I dont call very many raises with AQ let alone ones from UTG