PDA

View Full Version : Check raising w/ overpairs

Luzion
07-14-2004, 07:51 PM
When I'm in early position and have already raised preflop, I sometimes do a check raise if the board looks fairly safe and I'm confident that the person/people behind me will try to make a stab at the pot. Is this an okay strategy to be doing at my current level of NL50 on party? I feel that if I always bet out right away on the flop that I am losing the chance to induce a bet. Here are some examples.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls $1, CO calls $1, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero raises to $4, MP3 calls $3, CO folds.

Flop: ($9.50) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 bets $10, Hero raises to $25, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: $44.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $29.50, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $15, returned to Hero.</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, Hero raises to $5, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $5, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($12.50) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO bets $7, Hero raises to $18, CO folds.

Final Pot: $37.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $26.50, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $11, returned to Hero.</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $1, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, SB completes, Hero raises to $6, UTG+2 calls $5, CO calls $5, Button folds, SB folds.

Flop: ($20) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets $4, CO folds, Hero raises to $8, UTG+2 calls $4.

Turn: ($36) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $20, UTG+2 calls $20.

River: ($76) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $16 (All-In), UTG+2 calls $14.60 (All-In).

Final Pot: $106.60
<font color="green">Main Pot: $105.20, between Hero and UTG+2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($105.20).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $1.40, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Ac (one pair, aces).
UTG+2 shows 8s Qs (one pair, eights).
Outcome: Hero wins $106.60. </font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero raises to $5, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $5, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>,

Flop: ($11.50) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 bets $10, Hero raises to $25, MP3 calls $15.

Turn: ($61.50) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $25, MP3 raises to $50, Hero raises to $58 (All-In), MP3 calls $8.

River: ($177.50) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $177.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $177.50, between MP3 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($177.50).</font>

Hero shows Ad Ah (two pair, aces and fives).
MP3 shows Ks 9c (two pair, kings and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins $177.50. </font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 raises to $3, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls $3, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero raises to $10, UTG+2 calls $7, MP3 calls $7.

Flop: ($31.50) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 bets $25, Hero raises to $35 (All-In), UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls $10.

Turn: ($101.50) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($101.50) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $101.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $101.50, between MP3 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP3 ($101.50).</font>

Hero shows Ad Ah (one pair, aces).
MP3 shows Js Jh (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: MP3 wins $101.50. </font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 TEHero***** (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero TEHero%%%%%K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $1, Hero raises to $6, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $6, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($14.50) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets $5, Hero raises to $10, Button calls $1.80 (All-In).

Turn: ($31.30) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($31.30) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $31.30
<font color="green">Main Pot: $28.10, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($28.10).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $3.20, returned to Hero.</font>

Hero shows Kc Ks (one pair, kings).
Button shows Ah Th (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins $31.30. </font>

What do you think of this strategy? Is it okay to do from time to time or do you think betting out on the flop right away is the way to go? Also comments on the check raising amount is appreciated. Min check raise or raise more? I notice when I do a min check raise that my opponents are more likely to call.

Ideas? Comments?

MrFroggyX
07-14-2004, 08:18 PM
This is exactly my strategy! (And I play on Party's NL$50 tables also)
And it has several advantages over the "regular" strategy to bet out on the flop.

1. As you say you induce a bet by a worse hand.

2. It adds deceptiveness to your game.. And sometimes when you don't have a hand you can get free cards because your opponents are afraid that you will check raise them.

3. But the most important reason is because with the 50xBB stacks at party it's hard to get away with an overpair or TPTK when someone has a set or two pairs. First you raise preflop, bet a pot-sized bet on the flop, and a bet on the turn. Where you will often get re-raised by a better hand and you have to call off your stack because the pot is so big and you (or your opponent) don't have much money left.

Instead I much rather go for a check-raise on the flop. You raise pre-flop, you check-raises on the flop. If the opponents comes over the top once more, great..! Then you can drop your TPTK or overpair. And save half off your stack. And if your opponents also check's on the flop. Well that’s also not so bad.. You are one step closer to showdown with your pair (overpair or TPTK).

Luzion
07-15-2004, 07:12 PM
I like your point #3. I never thought about it before and it makes a lot of sense. If Im playing with a larger stack I need to be able to lay down overpairs on the flop and it sounds like your strategy is a very good start. Thanks.