PDA

View Full Version : How to do it?

benedetti
07-14-2004, 07:13 PM
If I am not wrong, a player has 32,4% of hitting something on the flop with, say, JQ. I would like to know how to calculate the probability that a number of players hit something on the flop if everyone has two different connected cards.

For example, three players. Each has 32,4%. What is the probability that someone has hit something on the flop?

Please, I would like the formula, as this will be useful to calculate lots of different things. Thanks very much.

BruceZ
07-14-2004, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I am not wrong, a player has 32,4% of hitting something on the flop with, say, JQ. I would like to know how to calculate the probability that a number of players hit something on the flop if everyone has two different connected cards.

For example, three players. Each has 32,4%. What is the probability that someone has hit something on the flop?

Please, I would like the formula, as this will be useful to calculate lots of different things. Thanks very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to use the inclusion-exclusion principle (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=probability&Number=417 383&Forum=probability&Words=inclusion-exclusion&Match=Entire% 20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=4169 81&Search=true#Post417383). You can find many additional examples of this if you search the forum and the archives.

3*32.4% - C(3,2)*P(2 specific players hitting flop) + C(3,3)*P(3 players hitting flop).

benedetti
07-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Ok, thanks. I didn't know how to search for it.