PDA

View Full Version : Aces. Capping them. Is it alright to? (5bet cap)

DcifrThs
07-14-2004, 06:19 PM
first off, the post title is a futurama reference (popplers. eating them. is it alright to?)

onto the point: going to vegas as you all know...5 bet cap there.

i think overall a 5 bet cap reduces the amount of action that occurs b/c somebody with a 4bet capping hand facing 3bets may now just call instead of capping because if he/she raises now it may cost 2 bets rather than just 1. this and the fact that the PRESENCE of the THREAT of 5 bets may lead to overall more passive play at the 3bet mark relative to the play at the 3 bet mark in a 4 bet cap structure.

NOW, with AA you obviously want to take whatever odds are given and put as much money in as possible. but lets say you're in this situation (which may occur)

bellagio 15/30 game. 3 loose players limp, an excellent player raises. one caller to you and you raise blinds call, 3limpers call, excellent player pauses and 4bets (he has QQ or KK or AK in all likelihood) caller calls. if you call here it will be 8 way for 4 bets=32 bets. if you cap it will be 8way for 5 bets=40 bets.

difference of FOUR big bets...huge.

but now if you cap it seems pretty obvious to the excellent player that you have precisely whatever pocker pair beats his or hers (hereafter his). therefore, he will be reluctant to bet into you on the flop and or turn and may even lay it down.

is it every worth considering giving up 4 big bets in a 32 big bet pot in order to PLAY THE TURN!!! in other words. i forsee the action coming down like on a T84 rb flop if you didn't cap you simply call along for the flop then you can raise the excellent player on the turn!! this makes them call 2 bets cold (or 3 if you 3 bet) on the 30 street so 90 cold into a 40*15=600 pot= 6.6667:1 or 10:1 (non capped raise the turn). thus giving them not the best odds.

but if you cap preflop the pot is now 48 sb's on the turn=720. so its 8:1 or 12:1 or 24:1!!!! it could be 24:1 if you are checked to on the flop bet and are checked to on the turn. that seems like begging to be outdrawn where giving up 4bb's preflop may be worth the ability to raise or reraise the turn.

or should i not even bother thinking about this and just pray for 8 way 5bet pot with aces?

-Barron

PS- feel free to flame me for even considering this but i think at 32sbs (or 40 on the turn) i just want to win the pot and i'd give up 4bbs...maybe...

Michael Davis
07-14-2004, 07:18 PM
"PS- feel free to flame me for even considering this but i think at 32sbs (or 40 on the turn) i just want to win the pot and i'd give up 4bbs...maybe..."

In a few minutes, you will flame yourself for this.

-Michael

DcifrThs
07-14-2004, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In a few minutes, you will flame yourself for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea well i'm due for an insanely stupid post (note that is different than "inanely stupid"...)

-Barron

Gotmilk
07-14-2004, 09:18 PM
just cap it...if you get beat you get beat. you are going to the river almost always unless you are obviously beaten so announcing aces isn't a big deal. just get more money in there!