PDA

View Full Version : Stop and Go twice - Tosh's post made me think

ipp147
07-14-2004, 05:39 PM
I can't post the link but Tosh's recent post (standard or nutty) made me think along a similar but slightly different scenario I often am in. I don't know if its a stop and go twice but I couldn't think of a better title.

You are playing a low level SNG (10$/20$) and have no reads on any opponent. Its early doors (blinds 10/20 or 15/30) and everyone has 1500 odd chips. You are in the BB with AKs.

It is raised pre-flop to say T90 by the button after 2 limpers, SB folds, you decide to flat call (I don't want too push and have a coinflip at this stage) and two limpers join. The flop comes with rags - 952 rainbow.

Now I usually will check this as I can't stand a reraise. But if it is checked through to the button they bet out, as they nearly always will regardless of whether they have a hand or not (I know I would).

So the button has made a pot sized bet, how many times in this situation would you reraise with A high in this spot.

The big difference to Tosh's example is that here the flop looks incredibly harmless and so you could easiy push people off hands but on the flip side you only have A high.

stupidsucker
07-14-2004, 05:48 PM
I raise out of the BB to 300 or so, if anyone pushes I fold. You probably get it heads up this way, or buy it preflop. If its heads up I bet almost any flop that isnt something terrible like a 3flush or 89T with 2 flush cards.

If you do cold call that preflop I think you can try to buy it on the flop possibly because you are the BB and the flop is raggish. If you get raised then bail.

fnurt
07-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Between calling a bet of 90 preflop, and raising to 1500, surely some reasonable middle ground can be found. Holding AK in the blind against 4 opponents is just a nightmare situation, and my instincts say you'll lose a lot more money than you win by getting cute on this flop.

pokerkai
07-14-2004, 07:27 PM
I think the push is after the customary bet from the button will win you the pot 9/10. That said, I wouldnt even think of trying it. Marginal edges like these are better left for later in the tournament.

I play fairly tight and conservative in low level SnGs so I wouldnt make this play, but thats just me being chicken /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tosh
07-14-2004, 08:59 PM
The difference between my hand is that I expect in my hand to have the winner more often than not. I'm not sure here.